Thursday, September 16, 2010

Weekend Recipe: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Loaf



With the weekend approaching, and the season slowly changing into fall, I decided to bake my Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Loaf.  It is moist, tender, and the chocolate makes it feel simply sinful.  Fresh out of the oven, help yourself to a slice.  Spread on butter and dust with powdered sugar...delicioso! (Moopa is big into Dora these days...and this pumpkin loaf!)

I am adding, in parenthesis, healthy substitutions for some of the ingredients.  I would never disclude anyone who is health conscious or watching their waist!  Also, since my munchkins can eat the entire loaf in a day, I like to try to make it as healthy as possible.  With the applesauce, flaxseed and whole wheat flour you can indulge all you like, because then it qualifies as a health food (in my house anyway...).

Makes 2 loaves, or 1 loaf and 12 muffins.  Unless I am making a loaf to share, I usually make the loaf and freeze the muffins for my kids to enjoy for breakfast.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf


3 c. sugar
1 c. oil  (or applesauce)
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 (15oz) can pumpkin
3 c. flour (1 1/2 whole wheat, 1 1/2 white flour)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp Flaxseed (optional)
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Generously grease and flour a loaf pan. 

Mix sugar, oil and eggs.  Add pumpkin.
Blend in dry ingredients.  Do not overmix.
Fold in chocolate chips.

Bake loaf for 45 minutes (muffins check after 18 minutes). Check center with toothpick.  Once loaf is cooked through (center may be a tad gooey, but this makes for a delicious loaf once cooled). 

Dust with powdered sugar, cut yourself a slice while still warm from oven, slather on some butter and ENJOY!

2 comments:

Throw in your two cents!