Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Who's Your Clone?

There are days when I need two of me.  Rephrase, MOST days I need two of me.  My weeks in the fall are especially crazy because we have two sports that take up a large amount of time: Football and Gymnastics.  We have a practice to go to four nights a week, plus Saturday mornings.  Sundays we have games.  Add in work, groceries, housekeeping, laundry, homework...I feel like my head might explode thinking about it.  And as much as I would like to be everywhere, and see everything my kids are doing, it is an impossibility. 

When it was just the Sports Fanatic playing sports the only trouble was toting around all his siblings.  We were (and still are) a travelling circus.  Now, with the Gymnastic Queen joining the "competitive" team, there is not enough of me to go around.  (While I am on this topic, I need to forewarn all parents:  ANY team with the word "competitive" or "travel" in the title equals $$$.  And I mean YOUR money.  Hence my new part time job.)  

I actually feel badly when I start to get overwhelmed.  My mom raised six kids, and we ALL played sports.  She never missed an event.  Not one.  And as an adult I still lean on her for support.  After all, she certainly knows my kind of crazy.  She is my saving grace on so many evenings when I have to run to work, and Hubby has to run to football.  After working a full day herself she gladly will come and stay with the nutjobs (er, grandkinds).  She gets them in pajamas and settles them down for bed.  That woman is a gem.  And in many ways, the closest I am ever going to get to a clone. 

Yet with everything on our plate, even an almost clone isn't enough.  There are other nights my sister or brother and his fiance pitch in as well.  I could not be more thankful. The kids look forward to their time with them, which helps with the mommy guilt of missing their bedtimes that evening. Having support is key when you have a family, especially a big family. I couldn't give my kids what they need without the extra hands. And I admit that with all my heart.  The support of my family is the glue that holds us all together.


This evening we have three places to be, all between the hours of 5:30 and 8:00.  Gymnastics practice, football practice and Back to School Night.  I am on gymnastics duty and as a coach Hubby is always on football duty.  In the middle of my gymnastics duty my "clone" will meet me and I will head off to Back to School Night.  Around 8:30 Hubby and I will return home, and we get to settle in for our evening.


Life is always chaotic, but not always this chaotic.  Whenever possible I manage everything I can on my own.  No one wants to always have their hand out for favors.  But all of us need help every now and then.  Even better, a clone like I have in my mom.  It's comforting to have someone who can handle everything you can.  It enables you to trust that when you have someplace (or two, or three) to be, the house will run smoothly until you return. 

The ONLY aspect of winter I look forward to is the quiet evenings.  Fall will come to a close, and life will suddenly start to slow again.  Its a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!