Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cloudy With a Chance of Homemade Meatballs

The weather has officially turned.  Outside it has been cold and damp, which means warm comfort food.  Meatballs are perfect for my circus for three reasons:

1.  Everyone eats them without complaint.  That is reason enough but I will continue.
2.  Leftovers.  Leftovers.  Leftovers.
3.  Tomorrow when I grab rolls those leftovers are now Meatball Subs.  Score!

As with most of my dinner recipes, these are easy, fast, and delicious.  No time for serious prep.  No time for homemade tomato sauce.  When I do have time I will be sure to conquer homemade sauce.  It's on my "to do", along with everything else.

Mommyhood Meatballs (I double this to ensure leftovers)

1 lb lean ground beef
1 and 1/2 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
chopped parsley (about 1 tsp)
Sprinkle salt and pepper
Squeeze kethcup
Sprinkle garlic
Splash milk

Mix with hands until well combined.  Shape into meatballs.

While I shape meatball, and my hands are covered in raw meat,  I like to watch as Moopa destroys the kitchen.

She thrashes until every drawer she can reach is empty.  And since she is my fourth child I let her.  I may even let her take the car out for a spin next week.

As Moopa is happily thrashing, I heat the sauce.

On stove, over low heat, heat 2 jars tomato sauce in large saucepan.  I use Rinaldi Tomato and Basil Sauce.  Another great choice is Aunt Millie's Marinara.

Drop meatballs in sauce and simmer on low, covered, for 45 minutes.  Stir gently (meatballs will break easily) occasionally until cooked through.

I start spaghetti when the meatballs are a few minutes from finished.  I let the meatballs sit in sauce and cool just a bit.  Once spaghetti is cooked and drained I return it to pan, drop 2 tablespoons butter and mix until melted.  Serve buttered spaghetti on plate and top with meatballs and extra sauce. 

This dinner satisfied a hungry family of six, and tomorrow Hubby gets a meatball sub.

Ah, the thrill of a happily fed family and leftovers in the fridge...it's the little things.

3 comments:

  1. These sound easy enough to me.....I might have to give them a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMmmmmmmm they sound soooooo delicious! Thanks for the recipe!! Any your little Moopa is too cute! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute little Moopa...

    I used to do this also when the kids where young except that I made my own sauce.....but I must say that I only had 2 kids, not 4. So it was easier to handle.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!