Thursday, October 21, 2010

Healthy Weeknight Dinner: Pepperoni and Kielbasa Pasta

Healthy Dinner?  With kielbasa and pepperoni?

I use Turkey Pepperoni and Turkey Kielbasa.

Then I really get crazy and buy the Barilla Plus Pasta.  Tastes delicious and it's loaded with fiber and protein.

My body needs as much fiber and protein as it can get considering my weakness for sugar.  And my munchkins need as much fiber and protein as they can get considering they are still growing.  And Hubby, well, he needs as much fiber and protein as he can get because he's a tough guy.   He works out.

I guess what I'm saying is EVERYONE needs fiber and protein.  Which makes this meal your friend.

I serve this dish at least once a month in our house.  The staples are usually on hand, and everyone eats it (or some version of it, I choose my battles).  Tonight I used angel hair pasta for this recipe. Why angel hair?  All I can say is, why not?  I don't discriminate when it comes to pasta and what is up to snuff when I am throwing together a meal.  However, any uncooked pasta will suffice.  Make this meal whatever you please.

All I care is that it is easy and quick.  Both are Mommyhood requirements when weeknights are busy and we have activities.  Remember, a quick dinner together is better than no family dinner at all.

Mommyhood's Pepperoni and Kielbasa Pasta
1 box uncooked pasta (I recommend whole wheat or Barilla Plus)
1 jar Tomato and Basil Sauce
1 cup Turkey Pepperoni, chopped
1 cup Turkey Kielbasa, chopped (I use Hillshire Farm)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
2 tablespoons oil (I use Canola)
Seasonings to taste (basil, salt pepper)

Heat oven to 350.  Cook Pasta according to package directions.  While pasta is cooking, chop pepperoni and kielbasa.
 Heat oil in pan, add meat.  Cook over medium heat 5-6 minutes.
Drain pasta and return to pot. This is when I remove a portion for my daughter who claims to only like butter noodles.  Once her serving is safely set aside, I add jar sauce and cooked meat.  Add any seasonings.  Mix well.
Pour pasta into casserole dish.  Sprinkle with shredded mozzerlla.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes (mozzarella should be completely melted).
Serve with a green salad and warm (whole wheat) bread.

Or stick with just the salad.

Or serve with pork and refried beans.  It's your dinner. 

Most importantly, dig in and enjoy.  Hopefully there will be leftovers because leftovers make life easy.
And I LOVE easy.

2 comments:

  1. That looks pretty good, I am going to have to try it!! Just subscribed. Dropping through from MBC!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!