Monday, November 22, 2010

Mommyhood Cornbread

I have spent the last hour surfing the net for a Gymnastics Beam under $100.00 for the Gymnastics Queen for Christmas.

The best I have found, that is up to snuff, is $96.00.

I am persisting.  I will prevail.  And until I prevail I will post about cornbread.

I am waffling on whether or not to bring this phenomenal bread along with my peppermint patties and sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving.  I am waffling because I know there will be rolls with dinner, and this cornbread may go unfinished.  Not everyone will eat the cornbread.

But I will eat the cornbread.  And my fear is that a very large portion of the cornbread will inadvertently find its way onto my plate.

Then, all of a sudden the cornbread will be gone.

It will be a "Where did the cornbread go?" moment.

Followed by a wake up and realize, "Oh my goodness, I ATE 95% OF THE CORNBREAD!" moment.

This series of moments will conclude with "now I need to do an hour of cardio".

Thus, I am waffling on bringing the cornbread.

But because of the "I can eat the entire loaf" deliciousness of this cornbread, I must share.  And please, if you are strong enough to limit your fresh baked corn bread consumption, bake away.

You will not be disappointed.

Mommyhood Cornbread

1 Egg
1 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Oil
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tsp Baking Powder
Sprinkle Salt
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Cornmeal

Heat oven to 400.

Grease and flour 8" pan.  I used a casserole dish.  You ask why?  I respond, "because I didn't have an 8" pan".

Beat egg, buttermilk, vanilla and oil.  Do not overmix.  Just blend on low until well combined.

In a separate bowl, mix sugar, baking powder, salt, flour and cornmeal.

Add dry ingredients to wet mixture.  Beat on low until just combined.

Pour into pan, bake for 30 minutes or until center is baked through.

 Serve warm, slather with butter, and drizzle with maple syrup.  Trust me on the maple syrup.  You will never eat cornbread without it again.

Happy Thanksgiving Week!

And now for my Thankfulness footnote:
I am Thankful for ice cream.  There is no greater dessert on this planet.  A large bowl, with sprinkles galore, topped with whipped cream.  Every night I slide into an ice cream coma after a day filled with munchkin fun.

Post ice cream consumption, I am thankful Hubby's body temperature runs a cool 200 degrees.  Laying next to him helps tremendously as I shiver, trying to get warm, in my 10 layers of flannels.

Lastly, I am thankful I know how to rock flannels. You must wear them mismatched with colorful large wigwam socks and a sweatshirt overtop.  Trust me.  Irresistible.

Monday Blog Hop!


The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom

5 comments:

  1. Love the sense of humor in this blog. Following now...

    I'm rocking flannels with scary socks as well...

    How else can a girl survive a Chicago fall/winter?

    hope to see you back (I'm from MBM)...
    http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. your newest follower, i would love a follow back =)

    happy MOnday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello :)
    I would like so much to do this Cornbread... but how much sugar do we need???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definately have to try this receipe out. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember waking up one christmas morning and I had a balance beam for a present - a whole balance beam for myself - insane but I loved it - hope you can find one! love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!