Sunday, September 4, 2011

The New York Renaissance Faire

Every year my family sets a date to attend the one and only New York Renaissance Faire.  Planning begins weeks in advance because we try to accommodate 14 adults.

And this is just my parents, siblings and their significant others.

Finding a day that works for everyone in my large strange family is nearly impossible.  Unfortunately this year was one of those years.  The family was down four members:  my brother and his lovely new wife, my sister who moved to Chicago, and another fab sister-in-law.

Yesterday the remaining family members dressed in Renaissance garb and we took the Faire by storm.  Many of the actors and Faire regulars know us well by now.
I'm not sure that is a good thing.

We are firm believers in dressing for occasions.  You go big or you go home.  We go as Scotsmen, peasants, fairies and gypsies.
The men in my family love this day.  For them it means beer and bustieres.  They throw knifes and Chinese stars.

The women, not so much.  While the day is always an adventure, I am usually threatening to leave Hubby there by late afternoon.

I can only take so much beer and boobs.

But the munchkins thoroughly enjoy themselves.  They watch shows and play games.
It's a day they get to believe in magic and play with wooden swords.

Yesterday was a lovely end to an eventful summer.  I had planned on movie night with Hubby, but he as passed out with his glasses on and remote still in his hand by 9pm.

A definite sign of a day well spent.

Happy Labor Day.  Hope its magical!
Mommyhood Footnote:  The highlight of my morning was when I pulled out the costume bin and Moopa reached in and grabbed a bright pink, ruffled dance recital dress I wore 26 years ago.

"This Mama!  This!" is all she had to say.





2 comments:

  1. Ohhh! I went there once when I was 17 and still lived in NY. What fun!!! I wish we had something like that around where I live now. I would definitely be dressing up! :) Glad you all had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tradition. Your kids are going to have the BEST memories.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!