Saturday, September 11, 2010

Attention: This is NOT a Cupcake


These cupcakes exist.  Which means people make them.  I can't fathom why these are made.  If you are going to buy the mix, the frosting, the cupcake cups and all the ingredients...for Pete's sake...make a CUPCAKE!

When you eat a cupcake, you're making the decision to indulge in something delicious and not so good for those thighs.  They should be big, plump and with icing a 1st grader can't help but stick his finger in.  They should be sinful.

As a mommy to four munchkins I know the days are never long enough.  There is too much that needs to be done.  When you have to make 24 cupcakes for the bake sale you really could care less what they look like.  As long as they are delivered to the school by 9am you've fulfilled your mommy commitment.

But then again I bring up the fact that you are already taking the time to make them...so for the love of all that is delicious and meant to be enjoyed....make a CUPCAKE!  Let those kiddies at the school bake sale feast on a real dessert. 

I am posting my go-to recipe for cupcakes. Courtesy of Family Fun Magazine.  It meets all my cupcake making criteria:  Easy, quick, tender and scrumptious!  The frosting and decorations are up to you....today I went very simple.  I'll be posting fall cupcakes soon. 

To prove the simplicity of this recipe, I have pictured everything needed to whip up these cupcakes...


  • 1  box (18.25 ounces)  French vanilla cake mix
  • 1  cup  buttermilk
  • 1/3  cup  vegetable oil
  • 4  large  eggs
  • 1 container frosting 
  • Sprinkles (if desired)
Preheat oven to 350.

Have your little munchkin line the muffin pans with baking cups.
Follow the directions on the cake mix box, but replace the water (boring...) with the buttermilk (booyah!).  Make sure you take the time to mix the batter on medium speed for approximately two minutes...batter will be thick and creamy.  

Fill baking cups 2/3 full.  This is where the real cupcake making begins.  If you could only eat one cupcake ever again, wouldn't you choose an oversized, plump, sinfully delicious mini-cake as opposed to a small cupcake with icing so thin you could see the cake underneath??  Point made.  Be generous with your 2/3 full.  Better plump than scanty.

Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes.  Remove and check center with a toothpick when edges are just slightly browning.  If toothpick comes out clean they are baked through.

Remove them from pan to cool.  I don't use a wire rack but of course, if you would like, help yourself.

Now, to continue with the real cupcake making, frost GENEROUSLY.  I realize some people (who are NOT me) prefer less frosting.  Let them remove it and give it those who DO want frosting.  Whenever indulging in cupcakes I park myself next to my lovely sister-in-law, Mimi.  She is one of those rare cupcake eaters who prefers less frosting...I reap those benefits.

One of my quick and easy ways to make "wow" cupcakes is to roll the edges in sprinkles.  These are for my son's football team...hence blue frosting....

In five extra minutes and one ingredient substitution....a hearty CUPCAKE that is meant to be devoured.  Hallelujah!












2 comments:

  1. I will now be fighting you to sit next to Aunt MiMi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I can't wait to try the buttermilk substitute. Too bad I just whipped up cupcakes about an hour before reading your post (which I found from Tasty Kitchen while reading reviews of the magical icing). Another fun trick...use the extra large torso-sized cupcake foil liners. Talk about mondo cupcakes. AND I just learned tonight that you're supposed to take those paper liners out from between the foil liners before filling them. Go figure. So much easier to peel!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!