Sunday, September 26, 2010

Homemade Peppermint Patties


When the Gymnastics Queen was a baby, I mastered the art of making homemade peppermint patties.  My first venture was through a recipe, which was a success.  I now have my own recipe for peppermint patties that I use every fall and winter.  They are devoured in the same manner I devour Cappuccino Chip Ice Cream.  That is serious business.  Mama don't play when it comes to her ice cream.

I have to reserve peppermint patty making for cooler temperatures due to my lack of central air conditioning.  Melting chocolate for dipping is best done in cooler temperatures to ensure the chocolate will set nicely.  Thus, when fall rolls around, and Hubby or the munchkins see the container of patties in the fridge, there are universal squeals of delight.  And I must say I cannot blame them.  These are quite succulent.

A few tips before I begin.  Set up your work station before beginning.  Your hands will get sticky and it is much easier to have your pans lined beforehand.  Also, there is no greater enemy to melting chocolate than water.  Water will cause the chocolate to seize, and it will not melt if even a drop of water mixes in.  Keep the area and all utensils DRY.

Mommyhood's Homemade Peppermint Patties:

1 32 oz bag confectioner sugar
4 Tbsp softened butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 cup evaporated milk
24 oz bag milk chocolate chips

Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper.  Set aside.

In large bowl combine first 4 ingredients.
Mix with large spoon to combine.  Add evaporated milk and mix well.  You will have to get in there with your hands to incorporate the milk....dive in and get crazy...

Once the mixture is the consistency of playdoh, roll into 1-2 inch balls.  I always go for the larger patties, primarily because if I'm limiting myself to one, I want it to be satisfying.  Can you blame me??

Mixture cannot be crumbly.  This makes for disappointing dry patties that are difficult to dip.  Add a few drops of evaporated milk if dough balls are crumbling. 
Flatten dough ball and mold into patty.  Place on lined baking sheet.
Continue until all dough is happily molded into patties.
Place trays in freezer for at least 30 minutes.  At this time I wash my hands and clean my work area.  While patties are freezing melt your chocolate.

I have a Treat Dipper, which is an excellent tool to melt chocolate easily.  If you plan on making any treats that require melted chocolate, I highly recommend one of these.  Makes life extremely easy.  I love easy.

If you are melting chocolate in the microwave, place all but 1/2 cup chips in a sturdy glass bowl.  Microwave on high for 30 second intervals.  Check and stir chips after each interval.  Once chips are 90% melted, remove and add in 1/2 cup chips.  Stir until chocolate is completely melted.  Should be smooth and creamy, and drip from fork or spoon. 

Remove one tray patties from freezer and begin dipping patties, one at a time, in chocolate with fork.

Let excess chocolate drip off and use knife or spatula to slide them back onto lined sheet.  The cold cookie sheet will help to set the chocolate. 

I like to add chocolate candies to them because I am eternally a child when it comes to my desserts.  And I like to make them seasonal.  Hubby prefers them plain. The beauty of homemade is the creative freedom over your desserts.  Along with pure deliciousness...licking the bowl...the house smelling delightful....and so on.



Oh Nellie, come to Mama....

Don't shy away from helping yourself to a patty right now, as I do.  No one will know it is gone, and it tastes like it was left in your car in the sun....you know, gooey... messy...gets all over your fingers and pants but you really don't care....(at least I don't)...

You can leave the patties out to set, or keep them in fridge.  When the weather is cool I leave them out, but store in fridge.  We like them cold and refreshing.  Tonight it is a bit humid so I immediately placed them back in fridge.

The beauty of dipping anything in milk chocolate is the left over chocolate.  This is when I get kind of crazy.  I look for anything edible to dip in it....like Australian Licorice (for me)...



Animal Crackers...
 

Don't be intimidated to try this recipe - it is well worth it and quite easy.

7 comments:

  1. These things are better than YORK peppermint patties.....TRUST ME!! They are so creamy!! Thanks Jodie for my sweet treats :) YOU R THE BEST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely like my kind of dessert.

    Just bookmarked the recipe.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh! These look good. I think I will have to try these out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely making these for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas. Oh man, so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UMMM YUM! Thanks for sharing on my Blog Frog Community - I'm going to have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever tried Almond Bark instead of chocolate chips for dipping? I use choc. chips for a lot of things but for something like this I would recommend trying the Almond Bark. Plus, pretzels taste better dipped in the bark. Just trust me on that one...

    For my holiday cookies exchange (from hell) I make cake balls from allrecipes.com (which is how I came upon Almond Bark in the first place). The versatility of that recipe is right up your alley, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this yummy recipe! I made these last night and they are soooo good that I posted the recipe on my recipe blog (and linked it to yours) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!