Wednesday, October 6, 2010

No Hot Water? Make Some Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies...

This morning I awoke to Hubby complaining of no hot water.  This type of situation doesn't worry me until I have to shower.  Then I'm all over it.

After a thirty second "only wash the essentials" shower, I called for service for our boiler.  Unfortunately, I was told it won't be until tomorrow morning.   I turned to the Kitchen Aid mixer for comfort.  I needed a house that, despite being inadequate in hot water supply, was adequate in aroma and baked goods.

My first choice was Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies...I had no pumpkin.  Which brought me to another recipe I have overlooked for far too long....Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I like many things about this recipe, most of all being the cookie it produces.  However, with 3 cups of oatmeal and whole wheat flour, I can almost count this as a health food.  Almost.


Mommyhood's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip I Have No Hot Water Cookies:

3/4 Stick Butter
1 Cup dark brown sugar (light brown works as well)
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Milk
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract

1 Tble cinnamon
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Salt
3 Cups Oats
1 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips

Preheat Oven to 350.

Combine butter, sugars, egg, milk and vanilla.  BLEND WELL.  I use medium speed on mixer for about 2 minutes.

On low speed, add in flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.  Mix until well combined.

Add in oats and chips.  I mix these in by hand.

Now, place dough in freezer and chill for 10-15 minutes.

This is where my dough gets to say hello to my ice cream. Luckily I'm low on ice cream and there was room for them to be officially introduced.  Cookie dough, meet my ice cream obsession.
I use an ice cream scoop to mold perfect dough balls.  I also use it to scoop 6 servings of ice cream every night.  But that's another post.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
 Bake approximately 14 minutes.  Check bottoms, these will be extremely crispy if you overbake.

The only trouble when I bake these is that I eat them.  I had four for lunch.  I needed it after my cold shower.


Do me a favor and after you bake these, take a long hot shower for me.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Could u post the recipe for the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! You just gave me a reason to bake them...well, that and my son and his 2 friends almost finished these. Thanks Crystal!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!