Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pumpkin Picking

Today we took our annual trip to the pumpkin patch.  I insisted we go today because Halloween is closing in, and the next few weekends are quite busy with birthdays and a wedding.  Luckily for us the weather was breezy and just right, and the pumpkins were abundant. 

Not only did I get pictures for my blog, I even scored a few pictures with me in them since my mother was with us.  I love the rare instances when I get photographic evidence of my attendance on vacations, holidays and day trips.  Most mothers I know share this sentiment.  Here is photographic evidence of my attendance pumpkin picking today.  I am restraining the Moopa.
The munchkins look forward to our pumpkin picking trip every year.  We ride the big tractor and feed the icky cows carrots on the way (Their crazy eyes and slimy tongues freak me out).  Look at these possessed eyeballs.  My parents immediately wanted one of these Scottish Highlander Cows.  For the life of me I couldn't see the appeal.  I might have a nightmare about these eyes tonight.
As the tractor pulled into the pumpkin patch, it became evident every pumpkin picking trip will be much the same.  With the sun shining and the country air swirling around us, the boys scampered about to pick their perfect pumpkins.
The Gymnastics Queen is never as easy.  True to dramatic form, the over abundance of pumpkins proved to be too much for her.  She frets and worries over choosing the "most perfect" one.  There are about 1,000 perfect tiny pumpkins and she can never decide.  She is 100% woman.  I find this endearing because she knows this trip is a one shot deal; a once a year event.  Look at the worry as she examines this pumpkin, you can almost see the tears forming in her eyes.
My mother and I discussed how perfect this exact pumpkin would be to make a face on with paint markers, and how cute it would look wearing a witch hat.  Her worried frown turned upside down.  She was sold.  Perfect pumpkin in hands she loaded the tractor.

As everyone was choosing pumpkins and taking pictures, Moopa was her typical crazy self.  She ran all over the pumpkin patch like a lunatic. 
The pumpkin picking adventure always ends in the gift shop.  My mother buys four fudge covered apples and I buy the kids their giant pumpkin shaped cookies. 

Before we leave we treat LLG and the Gymnastics Queen to barrel rides.  The highlight of their month.  I am closing my post with LLG  taking off on his barrel riding adventure.


Wishing everyone a wonderful fall Sunday!  Are you ready for some football??

1 comment:

Throw in your two cents!