Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Moderation

I believe in everything in moderation.  I don't go crazy with rules about television and video games.  We don't have regulations regarding snacks and juice.

As long as my munchkins play outside, do their homework, help when asked and behave nicely I am happy to allow a television show.  Or time playing the Wii.  My only stipulation is that they have to ask.

Playing a video game is a privilege, not a right.

If my munchkins eat their fruits and vegetables I am happy to allow dessert.  I actually BELIEVE in dessert.  Dessert makes life worth living.  

Moderation.  I believe moderation is best in all instances.  A little bit of this and a little bit of that.  Balance.

Must be the Libra in me.

Today as I was practicing my "all things in moderation" parenting I turned off the television.  The munchkins had watched enough for the time being.  I gave my "after this show is over we are turning off the television" warning, and they understood.  The warning is for precautionary "oh mom!" measures.

I am always amazed at how the simple act of turning off the television, and closing the armoire doors sparks an interest in creative play.

The munchkins pretend, and play chase.  They draw pictures.  The house is quiet as they disappear to enjoy their toys.  Magic I tell you.  Magic.  I just turn it off and let the chips fall where they may.

And today the chips fell to the game of Operation.  Old school style.
I am quite frugal and last Christmas I opted for the classic version rather than Spongebob Version.  Saved me $15.  Besides, burping and farting sounds the same whether they are operating on Spongebob or the funny looking guy in the version from 1980.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the 80's.

Moderation works for me because my munchkins are learning to balance their lives.  Television is fine, but television all day is not.

Sweets are delicious, but they will not help you grow.  Well, they will help you grow, but in the wrong direction.  Eat your nutritional food first.

Play the Wii so I can clean the upstairs, but turn it off when it's time to Operate.

Moderation.  Works for me.

3 comments:

  1. As I was reading this post, I was like WOW I could have written this. Then I got to the part where you said, must be the Libra in me. BINGO. Fellow Libra here. :)

    Anyways, my oldest two are now teens (16 & 13) and I am reteaching this concept: Playing a video game is a privilege, not a right.

    Except with cell phones, iPods, laptops, etc.

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. Think we'd be great friends in the real world! What you wrote are exactly the things I tell my kids. I've actually had my five-year-old suggest she eat a very healthy dinner since she had a sugary snack at school!!! And, I too, have a deep fondness for the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had the balancing act of the Libra person. Motherhood requires that from you.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!