Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mommyhood Cinnamon Coffee Cake

On Monday Hubby came home and alerted me that his account requested a coffee cake for Wednesday.

Let me rephrase.  On Monday Hubby came home and told me I have to make a coffee cake for Wednesday.

That's more accurate to what actually occurred.

This request is not alarming, or annoying, because I often send baked goods to work with Hubby.  His customers have enjoyed my homemade goodies for years.  I have used them to unload butt enlarging cookies, cakes and candies from my kitchen.

I love to bake, but I do not love my butt enlarging.

A few years ago, I wanted to try my hand at making a coffee cake.  At the time this was uncharted territory.  I found a simple recipe posted online by a Bed and Breakfast.

Over the years I  "Mommi-fied" it.

I can't leave anything alone.  It's an impossibility.  When I gave Hubby the stink eye today for forgetting mouse traps, he snapped at me to just drop it. 

Another impossibility.  I just spent three hours cleaning terds Buddy.  I sanitized, hot soaked, bleached and vacuumed.

I earned the right to throw the stink eye.

And now, for butt enlarging Mommyhood Coffee Cake.  I must warn you that this recipe is not the typical "cut corners easy" I usually post.

It is the real deal.  A roll up the sleeves, wash the hands, get out the ingredients deal.

But man it is worth it.  I promise.

Mommyhood Cinnamon Coffee Cake
(this recipe makes 2 cakes.  One to share, one to keep.  There is always someone in your life in need of a coffee cake.  I also have a great holiday idea for the extra cake below.  But you can easily 1/2 recipe if necessary)

1 stick margarine, soft
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla

Swirl:
1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
4 tsp cinnamon
4 tablespoons margarine, soft

Topping:
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 2 pie dishes with nonstick cooking spray.

In medium bowl cream sugar and margarine, beat in egg. 

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. 

Stir in vanilla.  Pour into prepared dishes.

To make swirl, throw all ingredients into bowl.  Cut margarine with knife, and then dig in with your hands and mix.
Smush and mix until crumbly.
Sprinkle 1/4 over top of 1st cake and repeat with 2nd.  Use knife to gently swirl mixture into cake.
 Use remainder of mixture to sprinkle on top of cakes.  (My photo is deceiving, I make an abundance of swirl.  You will not have this much left over.)
 Bake 30-35 minutes until center is cooked through.

While cakes are baking, prepare topping.  Simply toss all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well with hands.  Add flour if needed.  Mix until crumbly.

When cakes are cooked through, remove from oven and sprinkle with topping.  (The "swirl" will have baked to the bottom, making a "cinnamon-y" delicious type crust).

 Place back in oven for 5-7 minutes to set crumb topping.  Remove and generously dust with powdered sugar.
 Serve warm or cool. Or depending on what kind of day you're having take a fork and just eat it.  I won't judge.

Check out that sinful crust...

**Holiday Idea**
 Bake extra coffee cake in disposable dish.  Cool and cover with lid or plastic wrap/cello.  Decorate with ribbon.  Take along on Christmas, Thanksgiving (or any other occasion/party)  for host.  You are bringing them a delicious homemade breakfast to wake up to the day after preparing a meal and hosting friends or family.  Different, easy, affordable and much appreciated.  Every time.

Enjoy!

Thankfulness Footnote:  Today I am thankful for the sunshine outside my windows.  Despite the rapidly decreasing temperatures, a sunny day always gets my butt out of bed.  I love to face the sun and feel its warmth.  Heavenly.  Thank you sunshine for getting me moving on so many sluggish days.

Wednesday Blog Hops!

8 comments:

  1. haha - I love the "stink eye" description. Yes, he did deserve it.lol
    The cake looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be making your coffee cake!!!

    Thanks for following my blog . . . I'm following you back and have joined your Blog Frog community.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family . . . Gina

    http://myfloridaparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following from the Blog Hop. Hope you can follow back.
    God Bless,
    Shelley
    http://mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to make this! I love the idea that it makes two and I can have one AND share! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! I love how you do a step-by-step. I'm saving this to my recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI!

    I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by and follow me back!

    Be sure to enter my great giveaways while you're there!

    Happy Thanksgiving from Being Frugal & Making It Work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmmm... yummy Love to bake and found the step by step to prepare coffee cake

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!