Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thanksgiving Craft: Turkey Pins!

In this month's Family Fun Magazine there are several great crafts.  My favorite was the homemade Turkey Pins.  The Mommyhood version is a tad more simple, a few less steps.

Sometimes I am guilty of cutting corners.  I tend to remove any step that isn't 100% necessary.  I am all about the bare minimum.

This approach doesn't work with everything, but it worked like magic while crafting Turkey Pins.

Here is the modified, "Mommyhood" Turkey Pin:

Unless you stockpile craft supplies, you will need to purchase two items for this craft:

Googly eyes and adhesive pins.

Along with your googly eyes and adhesive pins, gather:

Empty cereal boxes
Two different sized caps (I used a cap from an Iced Tea Jug and one from a beer.  Classy.)
Glue
Scissors
Pen for tracing
Trace caps onto cereal box.  There was no method to my madness other than to vary the colors for each circle.  I was aiming for colorful pins.

Have your munchkin cut out the circles.  Separate large and smaller circles.
If you are anything like me, you will take over circle cutting after about five minutes.  I then assigned my munchkin feather snipping duty on LARGER circles.  Snip lines 1/2 way around circle to make feathers.
While munchkin is feather snipping, find a yellow part of cereal box and snip out triangular beaks.

Paste smaller circle on top of larger one, towards bottom (away from feathers).  Hand turkey to munchkin to glue on nose.
While glue is setting, trace several more smaller circles, and cut them in half for wings.  Set aside pairs of googly eyes.

Paste wings in place on sides, underneath smaller circle (away from feathers).  Slightly tuck edges under smaller circle to help hold them in place.

Hand almost finished turkey to your munchkin for googly eye placement.

Making certain turkey is right side up and that pin is going directly across back, peel adhesive off pin and stick to back of turkeys.
Voila!  Turkey pins for your munchkin to bring to Thanksgiving.
These are great to add to each place setting, or have your munchkin proudly hand them out to each Thanksgiving guest.

Or have your munchkin sell them for $0.50/piece at Thanksgiving. 

Anyone coming to our Thanksgiving, bring $0.50.  You've been forewarned.

I'm raising some pretty tough business-minded munchkins. I like it.  I'll have to live with one of them one day.  I'd like nice accommodations.

Happy crafting!

1 comment:

  1. I'm writing because I run a sensory site and am looking for great ideas for Thanksgiving. And as any parent, we’re looking for terrific Thanksgiving crafts and ideas for kids with Sensory Processing Disorder and on the Autism Spectrum. Would you add a link to a craft idea or two on our blog? Here's the link to share and get more traffic to your site… http://thesensoryspectrumblog.com/2012/11/04/calling-all-bloggers-fun-family-thanksgiving-crafts-ideas-wanted/

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!