Tuesday, December 21, 2010

BEST Sugar Cookies

I have been through about a zillion recipes for sugar cookies.  It took me years to find one that wasn't a pain to make, AND that held it's shape while baking.
These cookies only have one major setback: the dough is simply delicious.

I ingested more dough than I did cookies.

But with Santa preparing for his flight around the world, I thought it necessary to share this recipe.  It makes for a wonderful evening of cookie decoration with munchkins (followed by a wonderful day of dough ingestion).

I am a very organized mother and homemaker, and this is how I keep the recipe.
Therefore, I cannot begin to tell you where on Earth this recipe is from.

But man, it's good.

BEST Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cup butter, soft
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Heat oven to 400.

Cream butter and sugar.

Add in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Mix well.

In separate bowl combine next 3 ingredients.  With mixer on SLOW, add in flour mixture gradually until just combined.

Chill dough for at least an hour. 

Roll and cut cookies until your little Christmas heart is content.  If NOT decorating, sprinkle some sugar on top just before baking.

Adds a little pizazz.  I love pizazz.
TIP: Make certain when you roll out the dough, you are making cookies that are AT LEAST a 1/4" thick.  Here is an example of a cookie rolled to a hefty 1/4" alongside a cookie that was not properly loved while rolling.  Let's analyze, shall we?
Check cookies after 6 minutes in oven to ensure you do not overbake. 

After cookies are cool, decorate and enjoy.  I make each munchkin their own container...because there is a lot of dough tasting and finger licking...and germs in winter are plentiful.
Happy Baking!

2 comments:

  1. Your sugar cookie analysis cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Just made these cookies and they are delicious. Thanks for the recipe Jodie.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!