Friday, December 17, 2010

Brown Sugar Christmas Cookies

I am not exaggerating when I say these cookies are phenomenal.  They were such a wonderful surprise when I removed them from the oven I made another batch immediately.

IMMEDIATELY.

In my second batch I made two baseball sized cookies for me.

I've been known to do that when I find a dessert worth stashing in my secret cabinet.  I make myself an enlarged version of what I make for everyone else.  Think cookies on steroids.

And then I hide it in an airtight container.  In a place no munchkin could ever sniff out.

When I am in the clear, I pop an ice cold Diet Coke and indulge in one of the fabulous desserts I safely hid in my secret cabinet.

These cookies are worth stashing.  I promise. 

The original recipe is from my Biggest Book of Cookies.  As always, I tweaked to my liking. 

Brown Sugar Christmas Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (1stick)
1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
dash salt
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips**
1 cup smashed Christmas M&M's

**This can be replaced with pecans.  I am not a "nut in the cookie" type of gal.

Heat oven to 375.

In large bowl, beat butter and margarine on high speed 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.

Beat until combined.  Scraping sides of bowl when necessary.

Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.

Turn mixer to lowest speed, and gradually add in flour (you may have to stir in tail end, dough will be thick).

Place 1 cup M&Ms in a plastic sandwich bag and smash with any gadget you have handy. 

Ice cream scoops are always handy in my kitchen.
 Stir in chocolate chips (or pecans) and M&Ms.
Drop by rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until edges are just lightly browning.  Remove and cool on wire rack. 

Makes approximately 24 (If you need more, just drop dough by teaspoonful and flatten a bit with fingers).

After cookies have cooled for about 5-10 minutes, I beg you to eat one.

I know I did.
Happy Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful, definitely adding them to my "To Bake" list this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Chrisrmas and Happy New Year 2011.

    Best Wishes and Happiness.
    Nan
    http://theblogfrog.com/1233755
    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im hoppin in from the weekend blog hops and wanted to stop to wish you a wonderful holiday season!

    Nana Poppins (Patty)
    http://www.nanapoppins.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look A-MAZING! YUM! Coming over to follow via the saturday hop! Hoping you can swing by Mommy In The Baking and follow back. Have a great saturday night!
    Jackie
    www.mommyinthebaking.com

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!