Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies and a Cookie Cake!

This very well may be the longest chocolate chip cookie post ever.  I went a little nutty with the chocolate chip cookie batter Friday night.  I was a major overachiever.  A throwback to my middle school days.

We decided to have a small Christmas Soiree on Saturday.  Several families gathered at our house.  I will save you the inappropriate details.  All I will say is there was booze, meatballs, dips, desserts, poker, crafts and chaos.

I provided the house, the meatballs and the dessert.  Hence this tremendous cookie post.

When I make my chocolate chip cookies, I always prepare a double batch.  Cookies have magical powers in our house.

Seriously, they do.  I can have 24 of them on a plate and the next day they are gone.  It's miraculous.

Friday night I doubled the batch, as usual.  But I decided to stretch the powers of my cookie dough.  One double batch of cookie dough prepared three delicious desserts:

Cookies
Brownies
Cake

All of these desserts sing to me.  They also make life easy when you need to bring along a dessert for three different events in the same weekend.

Or if you are crazy enough to invite a herd of people over and have a soiree.  Which I highly recommend.  It was a hoot.

Before I share my cookie dough recipe, I must divulge that this recipe took me 10 years to perfect.  I am not even exaggerating.  I made thousands of cookies and tweaked hundreds of recipes.  This one is all mine. Enjoy it.

Mommyhood's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

2 sticks butter (partially melted)
1 stick margarine (partially melted)
1 cup sugar
2 cups dark brown sugar
3 eggs
2 TBLE vanilla
2 cups bread flour
2 cups all purpose (or whole wheat flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 bags chocolate chips

Cream butter, margarine and sugar on medium speed.  Beat for a solid 2 to 3 minutes.  Mixture should be a thick creamy consistency.  Do not rush the mixer.

Add in eggs and vanilla, one egg at a time.  Mix well after each addition.

Combine flours, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

Turn mixer to SLOW.  The slowest, crawling speed you have.  Gradually add in flour mixture until JUST combined.  DO NOT OVERMIX.  Dough should be thick and sticky.  You should taste it.  I'm giving you permission.

Please, for the love of everything holy, do not skimp on chocolate chips.  Chocolate Chip Skimping should be a felony.
Fold in chocolate chips.  Taste a chunk with some chips just to make sure everything is up to snuff.
I always chill the dough at least 20 minutes before baking, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days

For cookies: 
 Heat oven to 325.  I make large cookies, thus the lower temperature.  I like them to bake down slow and have a soft, doughy consistency.  Feel free to bake at 350 if you are scooping standard sized cookies.

Scoop dough with the most phenomenal kitchen appliance ever invented:  the ice cream scoop.
Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.  I baked 24 cookies.  This ensured enough dough for the next two recipes.
Bake 12-15 minutes.  This depends on how large you make your cookies.  Cool on wire rack.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies:
Prepare brownie mix.  If you need a new twist, try these:
Mommyhood Brownies

Pour brownie mix into greased 9x13 dish, and spoon in chunks of cookie dough.
 Bake as directed ( I baked for approximately 22 minutes on 350).

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake:

With remaining dough, press into lightly greased pie dish.

Bake right alongside brownies to save time.

I do everything at warp speed if I can help it.

Cool on wire rack.
When cool, decorate as desired.  I used vanilla icing to frost cake.  I have a dandy cake decorator which makes life easy.  And fun.  There is no better tool to look like a dessert rock star than a cake decorator.

I have now provided you with a one night cookie dough baking extravaganza that produces three mouth watering desserts.  My time here is done.  I have a cramp in my shoulder and I'm hungry for ice cream.

Plus the laundry is in need of attention.  Happy Beginning of the WEEK!

Mommyhood Footnote:  Last full week before Christmas!  


Monday Blog Hop!

7 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing a treasured recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I like your blog, and hope to see you on mine. I'm your newest followers now. :)
    http://the-w-s.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Yum! I haven't gotten over the snowball surprise yet... I still have some more coming! hahaha.. Thanks for sharing, Jodie! And oh by the way, funny to know you were once doing 'monkey business' at home too huh? LOL (No people, not THAT kind of monkey business)

    http://cookiealicaya.blogspot.com/2010/12/monkeys-on-wall.html

    Be blessed always, Jodie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me crave cookie dough! LOL
    New follower from Making Friends Monday
    http://sweettmakesthree.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks DEELISH! I'll have to try it! I have a recipe for Cherry Blink cookies here!

    http://milkandcuddles.com/2009/12/christmas-recipe-cherry-blink-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I was looking for a chocolate chip cookie bar recipe and yours looks great. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!