Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mommyhood's Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

I found a recipe for "Dream Cookies" in my Biggest Book of Cookies Cookbook.

This cookbook is a 475 recipe dream.  There are pictures for just about every cookie.  Most recipes are fairly easy, and there are phenomenal ideas flooding off of every page

Great gift idea for a cookie baker life myself.

I eyed up the "Dream Cookie" recipe, which is what I would consider to be a Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie.  But it called for white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.  I didn't have macadamia nuts on hand.  If I did I would have added them in plentiful doses and baked away.

I then would have packaged every cookie up and driven them over to my dad, who loves macadamia nut cookies of any kind.

I was intrigued by the idea of a chocolate oatmeal cookie, I have never had one.  So I tweaked the recipe to make a funky chocolate oatmeal chip cookie.

Before I begin, I wholeheartedly believe this recipe is wonderful for ANY add in you may desire.  The base is a chocolate oatmeal cookie.  You could get really crazy with this one.

Mommyhood's Chocolate Oatmeal Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup margarine softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
dash salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/3 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
This is where you can add in what you wish.  I added:
1 cup chocolate chunk pieces
1 cup white chocolate chips

Ideas: 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts, M&M's, peanut butter chips, candies, or Legos (just making sure you're paying attention)

Grease a large cookie sheet and set aside.  Preheat oven to 350.

In large bowl beat butter and margarine on high speed 30 seconds.

Add sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Beat until combined. Beat in flour and cocoa powder on low speed until just combined.

Dough will be thick and plentiful.  I ate some.  It was delicious.
Stir in oats and any add ins.
This is a good time to eat another piece of dough.  Grab a piece with a chocolate chunk in it.
I like to chill dough.  I placed mine in freezer and cleaned up the mess I made in my kitchen.  

I then used my favorite and most popular kitchen utensil, an ice cream scoop, to mold dough into perfect balls.
Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet and press down slightly with spatula to flatten.  Don't smush, be loving.

Bake approximately 12 minutes, remove from oven and let stand on cookie sheet one minute.  Remove and cool on wire rack.
Mommyhood rules state you must try one.  So dive in and enjoy while the chips are still gooey and oh so delicious.
Have a fabulous Thursday!  Only 16 days until Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower found you on blog frog baking discussion
    share the love and visit me back

    http://stayingclosetohome.blogspot.com
    yummhy cookies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look and sound amazing! Can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!