Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mommyhood's Healthy Homemade Lasagna


I love Lasagna.  I love it so much I want to marry it.

There is something about lasagna that sings to my taste buds.  The aroma of it cooking is divine, and there is no better comfort food on a chilly winter's night.

Lasagna is up there with homemade chicken noodle soup and chocolate cake.  

Lasagna is my go-to meal if I need to entertain a casual crowd (which is the only kind of crowd I entertain).  I can make it ahead and just about everyone in the world likes lasagna.

And if you don't like lasagna I don't think we can be friends.

Or I''ll make you meatballs.  If you don't eat that either you are most definitely out the door.

Mommyhood's version of lasagna does not require any crazy special store ingredients.  No time or money for "special store" anything.  But I do try to make all meals as healthy as possible while keeping them easy (on the wallet and on time).

This holiday season give the ham a break and whip up a lasagna.  Then call and invite me over.  I'll bring a kick ass dessert.

Mommyhoods (easier on the hips) Lasagna


1 lb ground turkey
1 box whole wheat lasagna
2 jars tomato and basil marinara sauce
2 cups fat free ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups low fat shredded mozzarella
2 egg whites
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 TBLE Italian seasoning (I prefer good seasons)
Garlic, salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.  Cook lasagna according to package directions.

While pasta is cooking:

In large nonstick skillet heat oil and cook onions until tender and golden.  Add turkey and 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning.  Cook over low heat until turkey is no longer pink.  Drain any fat.  Add sprinkle garlic, and desired salt and pepper.  Mix and cook approximately 30 seconds.
In large saucepan pour 2 jars sauce.  Add turkey mixture and simmer over low heat approximately 10 minutes.

In small bowl, beat egg whites and add ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella and remaining Italian seasoning.
Cover bottom of 13x9" baking dish with 1 cup sauce.
Layer 4 noodles over sauce overlapping edges.  Fill in where needed.  No need to be pretty, it only gets digested.
Cover noodles with 1/2 cheese mixture (about 1/2 to 1 cup).
Top cheese with sauce.  Repeat two to three times.  End with pasta noodles, and spread remaining sauce over top.  Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.
Cover loosely with foil and bake approximately 40 minutes, until sauce on sides is bubbling and cheese is melted.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with salad and wheat rolls.

**To make ahead, follow directions above and cover with plastic wrap and then foil.  Refrigerate up to 24 hrs, or freeze up to 2 months.  Just make sure you remove plastic wrap BEFORE baking if you make ahead...Mommybrain gets the best of us all...)**

Footnote:  I love spell check as much as I love Lasagna. 

Blog Hoppin!


The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom

11 comments:

  1. Great recipe! I'm definitely going to try it this week (don't worry, we all like lasagna so I think our relationship has a good start - lol).

    Now following from the bloghop - and excited to continue reading your posts. :)
    Mandy
    www.insanitybound.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum lasagna is my favorite! Yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks soooo good! I'm your newest follower! I hope you will visit back!
    www.jessica62286.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! I'm always looking for lower fat recipes and I can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, new follower here! Your lasagna looks soooo good... now I want some!!

    I have a giveaway going on if you're interested: We Don't Have It All Together

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Lasagne!
    Just out Making Friends on Monday! Happy to be following your blog!

    Anna, The Pilot's Wife
    www.pilotwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy...you made me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Thanks for linking up at Making Friends Monday! What a great blog! I am now following you! I look forward to reading more from you! Have a great week! !~Heather www.livingonloveandcents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! This will be in my menu list for my birthday on the 19th. :) Thanks, Jodie! And by the way, I made the Snowball Surprise Cookies and have already wrapped them up to give to hubbylove's co-workers! Thanks a bunch! The kids were crazy about them! (And so was I..hehehe) Be blessed always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does this call for 2 cups or 2 containers of Ricotta cheese?

      --Angela from Pinterest

      Delete

Throw in your two cents!