Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chicken Vegetable Spaetzle Soup

This recipe is brought to you straight from my mother's kitchen.  She is a phenomenal cook.

She is one of those "Oh, I just threw it all in the pan!  It's easy!" cooks.  I aspire to have this talent one day.

I'm a work in progress.

Every Sunday during football season, we spend the day at my parents' house.  We indulge in tacos, soups and snacks.  By evening the button on my jeans is beggin' for mercy.

We refer to this as "Football Sunday".

I blogged about Football Sunday a few months back.  In that post, I wracked my brain to accurately explain the wonderfulness of Football Sunday.  This was my brilliant definition:

Football Sunday n. Day of the week during which one watches football with family and or friends while thoroughly enjoying food without guilt.  Discussions revolving around work are banned, as is any activity that doesn't include retrieving more food.  No sour pusses allowed.

This past Football Sunday, my mother made this soup.  My taste buds rejoiced with glory.  My bones did as well.  Since my body runs a cool ten degrees below the average person, I truly appreciate hot soup.   

And a hot fire.  And hot blankets. And my hot Hubby.  

Did I just say that?

Naturally, when I inquired just how to prepare this succulent bone warming soup, my mother replied, "Oh it's easy!  I just threw it all in the pot and decided to add spaetzle!"

It was only after I devoured my container of leftovers that I decided I must know the secret to her soup making science. 

Below is what I scribbled on a sheet of paper as she explained how this soup came to be.  I will do my best to guide you through her instructions and add more specifics.  

But as with all vegetable soups, variety makes the soup.  Tweaking is highly recommended.  And it may be needed depending on how accurate my recipe is.  

I halved the recipe because, to put it lightly, we eat mucho.   We have no shame.

Unless you need to feed 6 or more adults stick with what I have below.  Or make what I have below and be prepared to freeze the leftovers.  

Whatever floats your spaetzle boat. 


"Warm These Frozen Bones" Chicken Vegetable Spaetzle Soup
1-2 tsp minced garlic (this is all about preference)
1 tble olive oil
1 32oz container chicken broth (Mama uses low sodium)
1/4 large onion, chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
4 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 lb chicken tenders or breasts
Swig fresh parsley, chopped 
1 box German Spaetzle

In 9x13 dish, place chicken breasts or tenders and sprinkle with seasoned pepper.  Bake about 20 minutes on 350 or until centers are no longer pink.

While chicken is baking, prepare vegetables.  Wash, peel and chop.

In large saucepan, toss in olive oil and minced garlic.  Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes.  Add chicken broth, water, vegetables, chopped chicken and parsley (as desired).

Simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Once vegetables are cooked, add spaetzle.  Keep in saucepan, on lowest setting or transfer to crock pot.

We rock the crock pot.  Keeps the soup hot all day long.

Perfect for long, stuck at home snow days.  And football days.  I should know. 

Mommyhood Footnote:  Even if you don't desire this soup you must buy Spaetzle if you have never experienced the joy it brings to tummies.  Cook according to package, and add butter.  season with salt and pepper.  Sing to the heavens and watch your butt grow.

The soup is a safer, less fattening route.  But a route must be taken because Spaetzle is worth tasting.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds good! I had not thought of using Spaetzle in soup. We like it in peas.

    Thanks for the twitter follow!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant. I've never had boxed Spaetzle, but I always make it homemade and we usually have tons of leftovers, so next time I'll make your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even sure what Spaetzle is, but I'm always up for trying a new soup. I also like hot soup. And having a hot hubby. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I will definitely have to try this. I'm German myself and love Spaetzle!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!