Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars

This weekend we are visiting friends.  Love these weekends.

Two days of shenanigans.  Six munchkins running wild. 

We let the chips fall where they may and clean up the disaster Sunday morning.

Toys are scattered throughout the house, mucho food is eaten, the men go out to the bar and the women go shopping. 

Heavenly.

Tonight the men are at "The Lodge".  Which from what I understand is a men's club you have to be sworn into, and there is some sort of Moose invloved.  Maybe the Moose is on the wall?  Or the name is the "Moose Lodge"? 

Either way the details got lost the minute I heard you had to be sworn in to join. 

Before we left for our weekend,  I needed to make a dessert.  I like to travel with my own Diet Coke and sugar. 

In my world they are as necessary as a toothbrush and toothpaste.

After some recipe digging and deep soul searching I made these:
They were ooey, gooey and divine.  A universal homerun, even for Hubby.  He is my most critical of dessert tasters, always eyeing any new dessert I make with uncertainty.

He always needs to know what is inside.  My answer to him? 

Saturated fats.  Now eat it already.

He always obliges.  And he loved these.

2 sticks butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups quick oats
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.  Blend butter, vanilla and eggs.  Turn mixer to low, and blend in sugars. 

In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder.  Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips until well combined.

Spread in greased 9x13 baking dish.   Bake 25-30 minutes.  For the ultimate gooey experience, remove from oven just before center is completely done.  Let cool.

Makes 24 bars.  Eat them.  Share if you must. 

I hear these are delectable with milk, I prefer with Diet Coke. 

I can also guarantee these make munchkins happy.  Make your munchkins happy and make them.

Happy Saturday!

Mommyhood Footnote:  Hubby tried a group exercise class with two of our friends' personal trainers this evening.  This class is no joke.  This class is a circuit training, interval nightmare.  It involved deadly weapons such kettle bells and bosu balls. 

Hubby just about fainted.  Turns out kettle bells and bosu balls are not his friends.

Looks like he needs to amp up the running/weight training regime.  Muscles are so deceiving. 

Hubby, I still love ya.  I hope you can walk today.

Happy Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. Those look amazing.. I would be baking them right now if I hadn't used up all my brown sugar (and most of the flour) baking cookies the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMM! Those look awesome will definitely have to try them. New follower stopping by to say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm trying to be good - counting my points (lifetime - weight watcher.. still a few lbs left post baby to "ideal" weight blah blah) and I absolutely intended to make these until my husband said "wow, those don't look healthy." So, these inspired me to make a lighter (less points) version.. if I could bake for a party though, these would be on my list..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these w/ us :) DELISH....hence the empty container.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made these today and am wondering if the pan size is correct. Normally I use a jelly roll pan for bar cookies. I used a 9 x 13 pan and the cookies look more like a cake.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!