Saturday, January 8, 2011

Date Night Movie: The Fighter

Tonight was date night.  Albeit a different kind of date night, it was date night.

The "different" I'm referring to is that my date was with my parents.

My Dad has wanted to see The Fighter.  I wanted to see The Fighter.  Hubby wanted to see the bar.

In the early years of our marriage, this may have been a cause for friction.  A moment of marital discord.

It took me a hot second to tell Hubby to go to the bar.  Eat wings.  Drink beer.  Watch football.

I will go and eat fries.  Drink Diet Coke.  Watch Mark Wahlberg. 
And watch him I did.  He was phenomenal.  Sweaty muscles and all.

The movie was not flashy.  It didn't rely on special effects or sex.  It was emotional and inspiring.  Naturally you would have to enjoy this type of film, and have an appreciation for complicated family dynamics. 

A love for Rocky would help as well.  Love Rocky.  That man was dumber than a pile of rock salt. 

But Rocky had heart.  His heart was on fire.  His heart was so on fire he could lift both his trainers and Adrian in a gigantic wheelbarrow.  I could watch that movie a thousand times and I'm still always shocked Apollo dies.
And I always want to go for a 5 mile run afterwards.

Rambling aside, The Fighter was raw, real and simply superb.  It's been a long time since I've seen a movie that left me thinking about it hours after it ended.

And just in case you're wondering, Hubby is still at the bar. And I'm seriously considering an ice cream.  

And Mark Wahlberg is a gorgeous man.  He has bulging muscles and he sweats a lot when he's boxing.

Just wanted you to know, in case you were on the fence about spending the $ at the theater.

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I just gave your blog an award! Check it out!

    http://wayneandjessi.blogspot.com/2011/01/ramblings-of-stay-at-home-mom-got.html

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!