Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!

I love cake.  Cake makes me happy.

I made cake for Bunco last Friday.

And today I loafed around, shirking all laundry responsibilities, and I ate leftover Bunco cake.
Notice the plastic silverware.  Classy.  Sometimes cake just needs to be eaten and not staged to look fancy.

For the record I prefer to eat cake with plastic silverware.  Plastic silverware kind of makes me feel like I'm eating at a bakery.  Or take out.

Don't ask.

My Mommybrain came up with the idea to make this cake for Bunco night.  I was aiming for something impressive, quick and delish.  This something also had to be fairly simple.  My time management skills left me with no time.

Imagine that.

My search for simple lead me to boxed cake mixes and a container of frosting. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find what I needed to make Chocolate Ganache.  Perfect to dress up a very basic cake.

"Ganache" is just a super fancy word for rich chocolate frosting. 

I now present to you an easy cake that is quite impressive.  Two layers, marbled center, vanilla frosting and  "ganache".

Chocolate Vanilla Layer Cake

1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix, prepared
1 Box Vanilla Cake Mix, prepared
Chocolate Ganache (recipe below)
1 container Vanilla Frosting (I prefer Betty Crocker's Whipped Vanilla)

Generously grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans.  Split vanilla cake batter evenly between two pans. 

Add chocolate batter to each pan as desired, gently swirl.
Only drag the batter a few times, or you lose the dramatic effect.  Like high school, this is all about appearances. 
Bake according to package direction for 9" rounds.  I baked mine approximately 28 minutes on 350.

When tooth pick inserted into center of each cake comes out clean, remove from oven and cool 10-15 minutes on wire racks.
Loosen sides of each cake with knife, turn upside down and carefully remove from pans.  Place back on wire racks while you prepare Ganache.

Milk Chocolate Ganache
1 12oz bag milk chocolate chips (semisweet works as well)
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
3 Tbsp butter

Microwave chocolate and cream on medium power 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt.  Whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.

Add butter and whisk until well combined.  Let stand 20 minutes.
Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 3 to 4 minutes until soft peaks begin to form.

For filling, spread 1/2 to 1 cup (this is all about preference) on bottom cake.

Top with second cake.

Frost cake with vanilla frosting.
Pour remaining ganache, as desired, on top of cake and spread. 

Ganache will thicken as it cools.  

Am I the only one who wants to stick my finger in that frosting?
Serve cake to many adoring cake fans.  Or serve to a few cake fans.  Or serve to yourself.

Just serve the cake.  And be happy you made ganache.

Can I just say ganache one more time?  Makes me feel all "upper crust".

Too bad I devour my fancy ganache cake with a plastic fork.  So much for upper crust.

Anyhow, because I can't resist,  Happy Hump Day!

(giggle giggle)

Make some ganache!

Mommyhood Footnote:  Today my reality includes a treadmill run due to my cake eating, loafing around snow day yesterday.  My tummy may be happy because it digested cake, but my legs will be cursing in a few hours.

3 comments:

  1. I'm hungry for cake now....looks so yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! I want some cake now. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!