Monday, January 17, 2011

Mommyhood Whole Wheat Pancakes

Last week, during what felt like our 100th storm of the season, I made my munchkins pancakes.

From scratch.

Have you ever made pancakes from scratch?  You feel like you are from the dark ages.  I didn't even know pancakes could be made from anything other than Aunt Jemima until about ten years ago.  

Homemade was boxed pancake mix.   Add milk, oil and eggs. 

I wasn't brave enough to make homemade pancakes until about two years ago.  Until then I was faithful to the lovely Aunt Jemima.

But on my quest to be a domestic goddess I decided a homemade pancake was a skill I needed to master.

There is only one way to accurately describe a pancake made from the ground up.  

Oh Nellie.
They melt in your mouth.

I'm serious.

You take a bite and you feel it melt.  Eating them requires no effort.  It's just pure melt-in-your-mouth enjoyment.

No chewing involved.  

Whenever I make anything from scratch for the munchkins I try to make it healthier than a store bought version.  I like my recipes to have fiber and protein.

Fiber and protein make kids strong like bull.

This recipe will work with white flour, but why use white when they are just as scrumptious with whole wheat flour?

Before we begin I need to mention that I feed a small army.

I make many pancakes.
This pancake tower is leftovers.

If I'm taking the time to make homemade pancakes I like to have leftovers.  The munchkins (and Hubby) love to feast on leftover homemade pancakes.

Thus, this recipe makes approximately 16-18 large pancakes.

Mommyhood's Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 cup perfectionist complex
1/2 cup "I have a box of pancake mix but I'm determined to make my life more difficult"

Combine with:
3 cups whole wheat flour (if whole wheat flour scares you, start with 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white flour)
2 tbsp Baking Soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups skim milk
2 eggs
6 tbsp melted butter

Mix 1st 3 dry ingredients in large bowl with wooden spoon.  Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended.

Batter may have small lumps, do not overmix

Using ladle pour batter, approximately 1/4 cup at a time, onto lightly greased griddle.

I grease with a little butter.

Gives my pancakes savory, crispy edges. 

Once the pancakes start to bubble on surface, flip.

A few tips for pancakes:

*Flipping more than one or two times may result in tough pancakes.  The melt in your mouth feature I'm promising you will no longer apply.  Flip wisely.

*If the pancakes are cooking up to the size of small decorative pillows, add more milk to the batter.

*If you are going to embark on a "Pancakes From Scratch Adventure", be cool.  Toss in sprinkles, chocolate chips, blueberries, Cocoa Krispies, steak or anything else you can imagine.
Once you have made enough pancakes to feed your small army, melt a tablespoon of butter on the griddle.

Fry up one last pancake with extra crispy edges.

This deep butter fry is not recommended for growing munchkins.  Just parents who like to indulge and then punish themselves on the treadmill.

Make this pancake only after munchkins have left the room or they are totally ignoring you.
 
If you want them to totally ignore you do not talk on the phone.

Once you are in the clear, with no one paying you any attention, serve this artery clogging pancake to yourself.
And savor every bite.

Mommyhood Footnote An extra ten minutes of cleaning, cardio or general activity is required if you ingest the butter fried pancake.  Mommyhood Rules state that if you decide to indulge, you don't get to loaf around.  Eat, enjoy, and move your arse.  

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE homemade pancakes...been making them for years! Yours looks scrumptious!
    Some variations: make 1/2 of the flour ground up oatmeal....like mix the oats and whole weat together...this is lighter than all whole whaet! yum yum. Or, add fresh blueberries into the batter, Or add sliced bananas! They are scrumptious!

    Happy snow days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe somewhere for applesauce pancakes too...delicious! I freeze any leftovers because Grant loves pancakes :). So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog on Friday! :)

    Those pancakes look wonderful- I'm sitting here thinking to myself, huh, I just missed lunch today. Yummy!! Now I'm starving!! :)

    Have a great Monday!

    :)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!