Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Road Trip!


Clark Griswald: Roy; can I call you Roy? Have you even driven cross-country?
Roy Walley: Oh, hell yes. Drove the whole family to Florida. Worst 2 weeks I ever spent in my life. The smell from the back seat was terrible.

One month from now, we're road tripping to Disney.  The dog sitter will be arriving and we are hittin' the road.

All six of us, in our giant "MOM I'm carsick!" SUV.  It's going to be a hoot.

Hubby can't wait.

I wonder if we'll still be married after 20 hours in the car?  We may just divorce ourselves 16 hours in and call it a day.

We have never driven to Disney.  We always fly.  I scour the internet for airfare until my eyes fry out of my head.  I check prices every day, all day until I can declare a victory.

This year that wasn't the case.  Victory was not mine.

And unless JetBlue is willing to fly us for free (JetBlue can you hear me?) we are driving to Disney.

There was no airfare I could work into our $0.00 budget. 

Hubby refuses to believe this unfortunate development.  He is constantly whining about how awful this drive is going to be.  He sounds like an eight year old school girl.

He is ready to stick needles in his eyes and we haven't even packed yet.

I like to take the opposite stance and call it an adventure.  A learning experience.  I envision laughter and family time.

And car exhaust.

After about nine hours I may be singing a different tune. I may not even be married anymore.

But the deal was if we go we drive.  And drive we are.

We even decided to drag our BFF's into this mess.  We're meeting them en route south of Virginia.  We can all bicker, laugh and smell car exhaust together.

I'm just going to stuff my face in the front seat with junk food and drive Hubby crazy telling him to watch the road.

And that he's driving too fast.

And ask really stupid questions like, What state are we in? Are you awake?  Do you think we're soul mates? Who killed JFK?

I think if I go long enough I can make his ears bleed.

Luckily for me, my parents drove six kids to Disney several times.  Granted, they had an RV.  But I am armed with tips and tricks to get us there with as little pain as possible.

I may even be able to stay married.

Regardless, it's going to be one hell of a trip.  Stay tuned...

In honor of road trippin', I hopped on the Tuesday Train!
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. With us (the traveling circus of 10) your readers can almost bet money (and I'm talking BIG money) that there will be several stories to blog about!! Looking forward to it!! I'm already smiling just thinking about it........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for all the crazy stories....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I only have one child, my husband BITCHED AND MOANED something awful when I told him I wouldn't go to NY for Thanksgiving unless we drove (from FL). Long story short, my anxiety couldn't handle my toddler on a plane. But we did it, and it was actually a really good trip. It might be the best we take as a family, because my daughter won't be wearing diapers for the next trip... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have never driven. I like to think it would be an adventure, but for us a plane ride to WDW is an adventure. I think if we had to drive we would most definitely not be married at the end of the vacation. We're sometimes barely speaking after the flight - which is only 2.5 hours!

    My husband can't stand the torture of the deep discounts available right now but we're committed to paying off some debt before we splurge again and go. I'll live vicariously through you for now! Do you guys have a timeshare (Disney Vacation Club)? We're on the fence...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great trip!!!

    And I left you a blog award! www.mymusingsd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love road trips. There are just some interesting things on the ground you can't see from a plane! If you have time, I would suggest breaking up the trip into shorter lengths. We're from Ohio and have made the trip to FL and back and out west to South Dakota with our kids. My husband b*tches about it while we're on the trip, but he wouldn't have changed a thing. We created awesome memories!! Can't wait for our next road trip. But unfortunately we have a $0.00 budget for vacations right now too. Have fun at Disney!! I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!