Sunday, January 23, 2011

True Grit: A Mommyhood Review

 Tonight was family movie night.  Family meaning my parents, brothers, a brother's fiancee and Hubby.

Attendance needed to be stipulated to keep you from assuming I took my young children to see True Grit.  I barely allow PG movies, let alone a PG-13 movie.

This goes for Hubby as well (that was heavy with sarcasm).

Before I dive into my Mommybrain review of True Grit, I want to mention I was stuck in a snowbank today.  My giant "I can plow through anything" SUV failed me.  It failed me terribly.

Leaving my parents' house, I had to reverse down their long, steep, mountainous driveway.  It's an involved story.  I'll spare you the details. 

But as I proceeded to attempt to turn the car around in the lower driveway, I inadvertently drove my truck into a pile of snow.  Under this pile of snow was a small boulder.  Who knew?

This story ends with my wonderful father chaining my SUV to his pick up truck and pulling me off of a boulder.

The point to my story is that I am a terrible driver.  And I really needed a night out.

Fast forward to True Grit.

This movie wasn't my choice.   I don't generally gravitate towards movies with Cowboy Hats, guns and dusty terrain.  This is more my Dad's forte.

But much like The Fighter, there was a solid storyline and phenomenal acting.  I truly appreciate a movie that doesn't rely on sex and special effects to win at the box office.  

The movie had substance. 

I haven't seen the original True Grit,  which keeps me from making any comparisons.  But I can say that Jeff Bridges plays one heck of a slovenly man.

He is everything you don't want in a Hubby and then some.  The epitome of a slob.

The good news is I don't have to lay in bed next to him, which made him amusing.

My mommybrain recommends this flick because it had heart.  The young girl, Mattie Ross, was inspiring and strong willed.  She could teach us all a few things about staying the course regardless of how tough it may seem.

Against all odds, she wheeled and dealed to secure a U.S. Marshall to hunt down her father's killer.  She was just fourteen.  Her journey alongside Rooster Cogburn (Bridges) and Texas Ranger Labueof (Damon) makes for a sentimental, thrilling, entertaining and humorous movie.

Dare I admit I was teary eyed in the end?  The movie drove me to tears.

But mostly I am confident in recommending this flick because my mom didn't fall asleep.  I can gauge any storyline by how fast my mom falls into her catnap.

This concludes Mommybrained Review of True Grit.  I hope this was in some way informative.

After all, I aim to please.

HaPpY SuNdAy!

Blog Hops!
Shibley Smiles Sunday Blog Hop

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you were stuck in a snowbank. It's happend to me a time or 2 as well.

    Dawn @ Mom-a-Loguesw
    New follower.

    http://www.mom-a-logues.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't Dads great? Glad your dad was able to help you out! I saw the movie last weekend and really enjoyed it! I liked your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Blog! I now follow you! Happy Sunday! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!