Monday, February 21, 2011

The Confectionery

Obviously I am a fan of Disney World.  We leave here and I can't sleep at night until I have a general idea of when we'll be back again.

There is something in the water.  Or the air.  Disney is putting something into something to make people suffer "Disney Withdrawal". 

But as much as I love the parks, the characters, the shopping and the resorts, there is something that truly sings to me.

A place that makes me happy.  A place I feel at home.
The Confectionery.

Growing up, when I came to Disney with my parents every year, I aspired to work here.

I imagined myself dipping apples and sporting the white and pink apron dress. 

I always dreamed big.

The Confectionery is fully stocked with Disney candies, cookies, fudge, chocolates, gifts and homemade confections that would knock your socks off.

The items I find most appealing are the size of my head.  Literally.
Hubby knows that hell will freeze over before we leave the Magic Kingdom without a visit to The Confectionery. 

No way, no how am I leaving Main Street USA without a bag full of trans fats.

Not only do I enjoy the merchandise, I just like to be there.  It calms me. 

It's like my mothership is calling me home.

And so after our munchkins made their purchases yesterday I spent time in The Confectionery.

It made me miss my mother, who also appreciates this most magical place.  I didn't get my sweet tooth by accident. 

Luckily our travel buddies appreciate stick to the gut desserts almost as much as I do.  We share a special kinship when it comes to unhealthy food selections.

I settled on a chocolate chip cookie that was the size of my fist, a chocolate covered oreo that was also the size of my fist, and a football cookie the size of my face for the munchkins to share.

I swear in an hour's time my legs had more jiggle and my pants begged for mercy.  The confections in Disney play no games.

So in between walking parks every day I am fitting in 30 minute runs.  I'm even pretty sure I gave myself shin splints again.

But man, it is worth every bite.

Mommyhood Footnote:  In my Disney Tips N' Tricks page I discuss how we have our munchkins bring their OWN money for souvenirs.  We supply the lodging, park passes and food but not souvenirs.  We learned from my parents how essential it is to teach munchkins about limits, and money. 

And I never tire of seeing them make their purchases.  They wait all day to shop (shopping is done on the way OUT of each park) and they weigh every option carefully.  This has taught them countless lessons about wasteful spending. 

And it has saved us mucho denaro.
LLG making his first purchase of the vacation in the Magic Kingdom.

Have a MaGiCaL MoNdAy!

More Disney tomorrow!

9 comments:

  1. Geez, I can't wait to go back! We go every other year and this year is Home Improvement year. Darn.

    We make our kids wait until we've been to each park at least ONCE before they decide what to buy and they have a set amount - once it's gone, it's gone! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you guys this year. Keep it comin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie, I'm a new reader and I have to tell you how excited I am about your Disney trip and your tab with Disney tips and tricks. I am also one of the lucky ones whose parents took me to Disney every year for vacation. Unfortunately, I didn't marry a Disney freak, but I did manage to get him there once, 2 years ago, and I converted him! YAY! I took our son twice without the hubs and then the three of us went together for spring break when our son was a senior in hs.

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to living vicariously through your Disney posts! Enjoy your vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading through your Disney posts all morning and they are EXCELLENT!! Disney is literally my home away from home and I always get so happy when positive information for making a trip easy is being shared.

    I've been to Disney as a kid, but now that our little one is on the way there are so amazing for traveling with kids! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you enjoy my posts - makes it very worth it~ :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you do much for your posts. My husband and I are, what I call "Disney Freaks!" We go each year, maybe a few times that year and yet your posts have given us a few new places to try and a schedule that we haven't done yet. Thank you for helping us keep it fresh. We Nate always looking for something new or simply a new way to go about it. I must just say that I agree entirely with your feelings on Epcot and the Magic Kingdom.... Our 2 favorite parks!!! We agree Magic Kingdom is always where we go first since it is where the " magic"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your posts! My husband and I are taking our kids in about a week. He has been a handful of times, but I haven't been since I was 8 (and I'm 35 now). I am beyond excited...for myself, for my daughter who is obsessed with princesses, for my son who can't wait to see Lightning McQueen, and for my husband who will get to witness ALL of our excitement. All of your info has been so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was our last stop on the way out of the Magic Kingdom the other night. After 4 days of bloat that would promote due date questions from rude old ladies I decided to forgo the sugar and instead picked up a sweet new Alice In Wonderland French Press to go with the Chai that I picked up at a specialty shop in Downtown Disney... ahhhhh.... Bloat be gone!! (my 4.38 mile run allowed me to get some of that out in peace... but not quiet.. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your posts, they are so insightful and have helped lots with my planning phase. In my research I found a site that sounds too good to be true. I was wondering if you have ever had any dealings with it, its magicalgetaway.com. we are looking to go in the spring of next year and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row. We will be traveling with several families and it seems like I have been appointed the head coordinator :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shana! I looked into magicalgetaways.com, and it looks like they keep their cost low by booking hotels outside of Disney property, or during the "value season" which limits travel dates. If you book outside Disney, prices are lower and you can look into several different hotels. Try mousesavers.com for great information on Disney deals (on and off property), or quote a trip through Jennifer at Destinations in Florida (link on my sidebar). They are trustworthy and knowledgeable, and can get you some great deals too!

      Delete

Throw in your two cents!