Saturday, February 12, 2011

For Your Valentine: Strawberry Cake Balls

 I remember reading about cake balls.  And thinking how phenomenal they must be.

Cake+Frosting+Chocolate=HAPPINESS

Soon after I read about them, my soon-to-be sister-in-law brought them to Christmas.  She made chocolate cake balls.

And I ate them.

And I brought home the extras.

And I ate them as well.

I should add that not everyone (Hubby) is a fan of cake balls.  They are a very sweet dessert.  You must be a "frosting out of the container" kind of peep.

Or rather, my kind of peep.

A few weeks ago I saw this in the store:
I thought of how delicious it would be with cream cheese frosting.  Or any frosting.

Then I thought it would well suited for Valentine's Day because it was pink.

I knew I had to make this into a cake ball.

Before I begin, I must stipulate that cake balls are extremely versatile.  You can prepare any flavor cake and mix with any flavor icing.  Thinking about the delicious butt spreading possibilities almost gives me a headache.

And a buttache.

Enough about butts.  Let's get to the cake balls.

Strawberry and Cream Cheese Frosting Cake Balls

1 Box Strawberry Flavored Cake Mix, prepared
1 cup cream cheese frosting (homemade recipe below) OR vanilla frosting
4-5 cups milk chocolate chips (for melting)

Cream Cheese Frosting
4oz cream cheese, soft
1/2 cup butter, soft
1/2 of (2 lb) package powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Prepare cake mix, bake however your little heart desires.

Cool 10-15 minutes.  I had a little trouble with the next part.  It seemed so destructive.

In large bowl crumble cake to pieces.  Add 1 cup frosting and mix well.  I just dig in with my hands and mash it all together.

Chill in freezer or refrigerator at least 30 minutes.  This makes the dough easier to scoop.

Scoop cake ball mixture into 1 inch balls.  Place on wax covered sheet.  I like to chill these one more time to make dipping easier.

Place in freezer while you melt your chocolate.

Melt milk chocolate.  I will now sing the praises of my gourmet treat dipper.  It takes all the work out of melting chocolate and keeping it smooth and creamy for dipping.

If you don't have a treat dipper, and you enjoy chocolate dipped anything, get one.  You will thank me.

To melt chocolate without dipper, place all but small handful chocolate in microwave safe glass bowl.  Cook on high, in thirty second increments.  When chocolate is 95% melted, remove and add extra chips.  Stir until smooth.  The extra chips bring the temperature down and help "temper" the chocolate.

Dip balls in melted chocolate.

Or shape mixture into hearts if you have more time and determination and then dip in milk chocolate.

Cool completely.  Store in refrigerator until ready to devour.

Below I have photos of various cake balls I made to accompany the ones I made above.  I love variety.  It's the spice of life.

This is a tray of vanilla/vanilla cake balls rolled into crushed M&M's and sugars before I dipped them:
Post dipping:
The white side is vanilla frosting.  I microwaved the frosting for approx 20 seconds in glass dish to make dipping consistency.

Have a fabulous Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. OMG...LOVE those cake balls!! And Strawberry is my all time favorite cake flavor...so SUPER yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look so yummy!!
    howd they taste?
    i like vanilla vanilla!!
    but red velvet with cream cheese would be awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!! Can you believe I've never had a cake ball?? I must try one ASAP. Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!