Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Mommyhood Review: My Favorite Ice Creams

Unfortunately for me, this IS NOT a sponsored post.  But if any of these brands would like to send me free ice cream at any time, be my guest.  It may just be one of my favorite gifts ever.  That and chocolate covered marshmallows. 

It is time for me to write an informative post.  There is so much useless information in my mommybrain I tend to forget about sharing the information that is valuable.

This post will focus on ice cream.    

You may want to bookmark this page for reference, you will need it when you make your grocery list for next week.

If you read my blog, even on occasion, you know I love ice cream.

Eating ice cream at night is as routine as brushing my teeth.  I tell you no lies.

I have approximately 7-9 half gallons of ice cream in my freezer on any given day.  Naturally this is not all mine.  I do have four munchkins.  But about half of it is mine.

And I feel no shame.
Yes this is my freezer.

Due to my blatant love of ice cream, I have had many favorite flavor inquiries.

I love ice cream so much I hate to play favorites.  It's just not nice.  But I do have my preferred brands that frequent my freezer most often.

And there are many flavors I love that I have not included in my stellar ice cream review.  I only have so much time in a day.

I need to note that I only eat low-fat or non-fat varieties.  I try to minimize the damage.  My butt thanks me for this.

I also fancy several flavors that have live and active cultures.

And I always remind myself that if one serving has 10% daily recommended calcium then the 5 servings I eat is 50% of my daily calcium!

I'm tryin' here.

The only exception to my low fat/no fat ice cream rule is if I am getting ice cream out, such as at Cold Stone Creamery.  Then all bets are off.  I dive in without calorie caution.

I can only review what I ingest regularly.   These flavors include:  Mint Chocolate Chip, Coffee, Cookie Dough, Chocolate Brownie and Cake Batter.  I have happily sampled every store bought (lowfat/nonfat) variation of these flavors. 

Thank heavens for treadmills.

Mint Chocolate Chip Variations:  All time most favorite "I-love-it-so-much-I-even-buy-it-full price" (gasp):  Turkey Hill Skinny Minty
This flavor blows my mind.  There are chunks of sweet chocolate cookie swirled in that are to die for.  If you are a mint chip fan, and you like grasshopper cookies, try this now.  Try it RIGHT now.  Leave and go to the store.  Do not finish reading this post.

However, if you like "chocolate chips" to chew on, try Edy's Light Mint Chocolate Chip.  Creamy and minty and delicious.

Regular Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Ben and Jerry's.  All the way.  No questions asked.  The chocolate chips are the size of mini chocolate bars.  Eating this ice cream actually requires effort from my jaw.  I break a sweat.

It's almost like exercise.  Almost.

Coffee:  My "I-love-you-so-much-I-want-to-marry-you" coffee ice cream:  Edy's Slow Churned Cappuccino Chip Frozen Yogurt.
There is no competition.  None.  This ice cream is uber creamy and the chips are big and chunky.  I have a love affair with it several times a week.

Runners upEdy's Light Coffee and Hood Mocha Fudge Frozen Yogurt.

Edy's Coffee has just the right amount of "coffee" and shares the creamy texture of Cappuccino Chip.

Mocha Fudge is nonfat, with live and active cultures.  It even has 3g of protein per serving.  Booyah!
Regular Coffee Ice Cream:  Three Way Tie.  Friendly's (ever try a Coffee Fribble?),  Breyers All Natural Coffee or Ben and Jerry's.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:  There are three brands that really rock my world.  But if I had to choose ONE to buy, if would be Hood Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frozen Yogurt.  The cookie balls are large and the chocolate chips are plentiful.
Runners UpEdy's Light Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Turkey Hill Light Recipe Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Ben and Jerry's Half Baked Frozen Yogurt

Regular Cookie Dough: Cold Stone Creamery or Ben and Jerry's.

Cake Batter:  I only go regular ice cream on this one.  And the ultimate winner is definitely Cold Stone Creamery.  Did you know they were the first company to offer Cake Batter ice cream? 

Runner Up: Ben and Jerry's Cake Batter

Chocolate Brownie:  Breyers Smooth and Dreamy Chocolate Fudge Brownie.  This is fat free, and very delish.  I promise.
On any given night I can be found curling up to my favorite television shows with a bowl overflowing with any two of these above flavors.

I add sprinkles and always a hefty serving of whipped cream.

I then drop sprinkles all over my jammies.  And a glob of whipped cream.  Never fails.
Mommyhood Footnote:  My love of ice cream goes hand in hand with my love for running.  And Jillian Michaels.  Exercise is a necessity.  Eating ice cream has been known to make butts bigger and love handles hang over jeans.  Unless you like this look, you will need to run.  Or kickbox.  Or something.

Just tellin' it like it is.

*Pictures from Edys, Ben and Jerrys, Breyers, Hood and Turkey Hill*

1 comment:

  1. Since I consider you an ice cream expert, what do you think of Starbucks Java Chip ice cream? I happen to like it but wondered if you had tried it? Also, have you heard of the book "The Ice Cream Theory" Author: Steff Deschenes? Simply Stacie just blogged about it and it made me think you might like it. I believe it's fiction and she said a frivolous read but every chapter deals with an ice cream flavor in the life of this family. Might be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!