Monday, February 28, 2011

Ooey Gooey Butter Cake

It's Monday.

Butter Cake takes the sting out of Mondays. 

Before I post this recipe, there is one thing you need to understand.  I love gooey desserts.  I like my cookies underbaked and my chocolate melted.

There is no better way to enjoy a candy bar than after it's been in the car for a few hours in the middle of June.

I fancy raw cookie dough and I lick the batter off my mixer attachments.  

Crispy cookies make me cry.  A stiff brownie has no place in my kitchen.  I have stringent dessert guidelines that my baked goods must live up to.

I refuse to invest the calories unless the dessert is ooey, gooey and divine. 

This butter cake is all of the above.  Gooey is the best word for this sinful, sinful pleasure.

After I baked this I immediately cut myself a square.  I ate it.

My taste buds sung to the heavens and my butt cried a tear.

Before I ate it all I offered my munchkins each a square.  They ate it.

And then they all ate another square.

I finally knew what had to be done.  I needed to cut a large portion to bring to my mother, who fancies desserts such as coffee cakes.

She ate it.  And then ate more.

By the afternoon this dessert was no more.  And we all immensely enjoyed every last trans-fatty-stick-to-the-butt calorie.

You will too.

Mommyhood's Butter Cake

Crust:
1 package plain yellow cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 egg

Filling:
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick butter, melted
3 cups sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare crust.  In large bowl combine ingredients with a wooden spoon until moist.  Spread evenly in bottom of ungreased 13x9 baking pan.
Prepare the filling in large mixing bowl.  Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until fluffy.  Add the eggs, vanilla and melted butter.  Mix well.  Add the sugar one cup at a time until mixed in.

Pour filling over crust and spread evenly with spatula.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until browned, but center still jiggles when pan is shaken. 
Cool 30 minutes and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Then settle in for quality time with a square of butter cake.  You'll hit it off.  I promise.

4 comments:

  1. That needs to be washed down w/ a big DC and then followed up w/ a 3 mile run :) When did you find the time to bake after our monster roadtrip?? Impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, why Jodie??? I need to make this today. So dangerous checking out your blog. I've been reading your disney tips (we're going in November) and I think you've convinced me on the dining plan. Too bad Grant is too young for it. He eats more than me some days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a dessert auction coming up and I just might have to make this! Ok, so I will have to make 2...you know, to try it out first! Thanks for yet another grrreat recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking this now can't wait to see how it turns out

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!