Friday, February 4, 2011

Superbowl Sweets: Brownie Footballs

This week has been anything but normal for us.

A new job, a two day storm, a canceled business trip and two rounds (so far) of the "Dreaded Barfing Disease".

It's a good thing we've learned to take each day as it comes.  Any game plan for the past five days would've been a complete waste of time.

And so our not-normal week concludes today with the highly anticipated monthly snack sale at school.

This month I am a baker.  I bake for every snack sale sponsored by a grade one of my munchkins is in.

Today is the 4th grade snack sale.

Yesterday, in between hot laundry soaks and making rounds with Lysol, I searched my house for supplies to bake something phenomenal.   A real elementary school crowd "wow-er".

I needed an item that would be in high demand for munchkins between the ages of five and twelve. 

It took me a hot second to come to two very important realizations.

First, anything made primarily of sugar would be in high demand for munchkins between the ages of five and twelve.  They are not a picky bunch.

Second, after a two day storm and a bout of barfing disease, groceries in my kitchen were as scarce as supervision on prom night.

My crowd wowing dessert would have to wait.

In honor of my Sports Fanatic I knew I wanted to make something Superbowl related.

I scrounged together supplies and ended up with these super delicious and easy Brownie Footballs.
Below is the almighty guide that will lead you to Brownie Football heaven.

Brownie Footballs

Box Brownie Mix
Applesauce
Chocolate Syrup
Chocolate Icing
Vanilla Icing
Football Shaped Cookie Cutter (optional)

Heat oven to 350.

Generously grease a large (I recommend 17") shallow cookie pan.

Prepare brownie mix according to package instructions.  Replace oil with applesauce and add generous squeeze chocolate syrup.

Pour brownie batter into prepared cookie pan.  These will be much thinner than standard brownies.

Bake at 350 approx 10-12 minutes, or until toothpick inserted to center comes out clean.  DO NOT OVERBAKE.

Brownies will have more of a cake-like consistency.  This makes life easier when you rock out the cookie cutters.
 Let cool.  

Using cookie cutter, cut out football shaped brownies.  (A knife may be used to cut out football shapes if you are cookie cutter-less but determined to make footballs.)
Generously frost each brownie with chocolate icing.
Fill plastic sandwich bag with vanilla icing, and snip corner of bag. 

Carefully add laces to Brownie Footballs.
Package up with ribbon to support your team and take along with you on Sunday to watch the game.

Or forget the packaging and just eat the little buggers.

I'll never even mention you made them.

HaPpY fRiDaY!

Mommyhood Footnote:  Before I sign off (or shall I say pass out from sheer "Barf Patrol" exhaustion) I will share why I don't mind when my munchkins are sick:
Precious.

**I must shout out to Mama M over at My Little Life.**
Every Friday I enthusiastically link up to her 5 ? Friday Blog Hop.  This Friday I discovered tragedy has struck her family.  Her brother in law passed unexpectedly, in a terrible accident.  It is these moments that make me stop, look around, and remember every day is a blessing.  

I am sending prayers her way.  
 
Just Married with Coupons

3 comments:

  1. Very cute brownies!! And you are right, anything with sugar in the first three ingredients is a kid crowd pleaser!!

    What a great shout out!
    I am also sending prayers her way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now following you!!

    Michele aka MikiHope

    www.mikishope.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum!
    Great blog! I'm your newest follower from the Saturday Stalk blog hop... I would love it if you'd stop by my site: random-utterances.com
    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!