Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine Fun: Crayon Hearts

I found this Valentine activity years ago in Family Fun magazine.  I loved that it was easy, quick and unique.

It also made broken crayons useful again.
Broken crayons are one of the banes of my Mommyhood existence.  Please go away broken crayons.  Go away and never return.

Aside from recycling annoying crayon nubs, this activity makes a wonderful Valentine's Day gift for classmates.  A gift that is not a lollipop or a pencil.

Hallelujah and an Amen to that one.

I am good on pencils for at least a year.  We have a wonderfully varied pencil selection with a pencil for every holiday, season, superhero and princess.

I'm bracing for another pencil delivery via three backpacks next Monday (2/14).  If you are contributing to this delivery, I do thank you.  Even though I have a million of them, pencils don't expire.  I guess I can take a few dozen more.  I might use them to build a shed.

Without further ado, I bring you the "How To" on making crayon hearts. 

Supplies

Heart shaped cookie or muffin tin
Annoying crayon pieces from all over your house, car and purse

1. Help munchkins peel paper off broken crayons.  This is a wonderful, time consuming quiet activity.  Munchkins have to concentrate to peel that paper.  The room will be silent.

Savor it.

And then breathe deeply as you view broken crayon pile (cringe) and tiny scraps of paper pile (cringe squared).
This picture gives me agita.

2. Have munchkins fill each mold with assorted crayon pieces.  I love to watch my munchkins combine different colors for each mold.
LLG just tosses pieces in to fill each mold, he lets the chips fall where they may.

The Gymnastics Queen is very particular with her color schemes.  LLG's complete and total disregard for order drives her mad.  I find this very amusing as long as no one cries too loud.

3. Bake at 250 for 10-15 minutes until crayons are melted.

4. Remove from oven and cool at least an hour.  Crayons will easily pop out of mold once cooled.

These are wonderful to accompany store bought Valentines or to make homemade Valentines.

For homemade Valentines adhere heart crayons to a cut piece of card stock.

Add a super corny but cute message such as "You melt my heart" or "You make my days more colorful".

Valentine's Day is the ultimate in cheesy punch lines.  It's fabulous.

Go grab a heart shaped muffin tin and make something cool (heart crayons) out of something that is not cool (broken crayons).

Happy crayon making!

6 comments:

  1. Oh cool! I printed this off & will do it on our next snow day (cuz I'm sure there will be more - ugh!)I swear our crayons reproduce during the night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you over at The Pioneer Woman's blog!! Your 'name' sounded interesting... clicked over and found the most brilliant project EVER!!!! I'm new in mommy world and the girls have JUST begun tearing off the paper off the crayons... so this will be great when I've had enough!

    Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Project!! Thanks for Sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valentines decorations | Valentine’s party It is great blog comparing to other one's. i was waiting for the next great article in this blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for reminding me about these. The kids already started sorting the crayons! Emily will give them out at her school party! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea, and I think I have one of those silicone heart shaped muffin tins! xo

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!