Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chicken and Broccoli

Today we officially began the "Disney World Detox". 

In Disney, every lunch and dinner included french fries.  Every. Single. One. 

If the fries weren't on my plate, I ate them off someone else's.

I also ate dessert twice a day.  Dessert is included in the meal plan, and I have never been known to throw out a perfectly good brownie. 

Or Mickey Mouse krispy treat.

And certainly I could never toss anything even remotely resembling ice cream.

And so today, with my pants a wee bit snug, the Disney Detox began.  I kicked it off with homemade chicken and broccoli for dinner.

Until this year I always purchased the little teriyaki seasoning packets to make chicken and broccoli.  But a few weeks ago I had chicken, broccoli and rice but no seasoning. 

Quite a quandary.

I turned to my dear friend the Internet to find a recipe I could prepare from the bottom up.  And then I tweaked the recipe because I leave nothing alone.  Ever.

What resulted was the easiest chicken and broccoli ever prepared in my kitchen.  It was also the most delicious.

And tonight Hubby was thrilled to sniff my homemade chicken and broccoli cookin' on the stove.  But he was even more thrilled to see fresh veggies again. 

His arteries thanked me.  I heard them. 

I didn't get much time to organize a chicken and broccoli photo shoot, because unnamed people were demanding to be fed. 

These people are tiny.  And loud when they are hungry.  And there are many of them. 

So excuse the unartistic photos.  They're all I've got.

Mommyhood's Chicken and Broccoli
Makes 2 large servings

1 lb chicken breasts or tenders, cut into 1" chunks
1 cup lower sodium soy sauce
3/4 cup light mayonnaise (yes, mayo)
2-3 cups broccoli, cut into chunks
2 cups brown rice, prepared

In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and soy sauce.  Mixture will be "clumpy".  Don't fret.  Trust the recipe.
Add chicken.  Let the chicken marinate 10-15 minutes.

Heat large saucepan, add marinade and chicken.  Cover and cook 8-10 minutes over low to medium heat. 
Add broccoli chunks.  Cover and cook another 10 minutes over low heat.  Stir occasionally.
While chicken is cooking I prepare rice. 

Serve chicken and broccoli over brown rice, and drizzle with extra sauce from pan.
Thank me later. 

Have a totally awesome Tuesday!

1 comment:

Throw in your two cents!