Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Childhood Favorite: Chicken and Rice

There are a handful of meals that bring me straight back to my mother's kitchen.

Let me rephrase.

There are a handful of meals that bring me straight back to my mother's kitchen in our old house.  I am in my mother's current kitchen several times a week.

I am one of six kids.  My mother prepared simple, easy, delicious meals and we enjoyed them all-you-can-eat family style.  She had to prepare enough food to feed a small army and it was set out in the kitchen for all to enjoy whenever they cruised through.

My stomach ate itself every time I caught the aroma of this dish cookin'.  I lingered in the kitchen, probably driving her crazy, while I waited for dinner to be ready.

And this past Sunday, while at the grocery store, I remembered this dish.  My subconscious awoke and made itself useful for once.

I haven't enjoyed this dish in years.  But as I pushed my cart around that crowded, loathsome place I knew I had to prepare it.

And so the first of two calls was made to my most amazing mother.  I needed to know what I needed other than chicken and brown rice.

And tonight I made the second call.  And Mom walked me through this easy, delectable meal that my stomach remembers so fondly.

It may be the easiest meal I am sharing to date.  And most definitely one of the most delicious.

The "Mommyhood Family Eat percentage" (MFE) is 83%.  The only munchkin that needed prodding was LLG.   All others happily ingested as it was served.

LLG obliged once ketchup was offered up as a dipping sauce.  We choose our battles carefully in Mommyhood.

This fed our family of 6 and we have leftovers in the fridge.  Makes 4 adult sized servings.

2 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice (NOT Boil in Bag.  I used Minute Whole Grain Brown Rice)
1 lb thin sliced chicken breasts
1 can Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Packet Lipton Onion Soup
Chopped Carrots (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease bottom and sides of 9x13 baking dish.

Spread uncooked rice evenly on bottom of dish.  Top with chicken breasts.
Spread soup over top of chicken.  Fill empty soup can with water and add to dish, using fork to slightly mix in.  Repeat with another 1/2 to 3/4 can water.
Sprinkle soup mix on top.  Add carrots for color if desired.  Cover dish with foil.
Bake at 350 for 60 minutes. 

While dish is baking enjoy the Martha Stewart like aroma that fills the home.

Remove dish and eat like Martha Stewart prepared your meal.

Well, not quite.  But who has that kind of time?
Have a Super Tuesday!

Mommyhood Footnote:  This dinner is delicious, and makes for excellent leftovers.  Another bonus is this the health factor.  With whole grain brown rice and chicken it is packed with fiber and protein.  All the more reason to enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. This looks sooooo yummy and I am going to have to go off of Paleo for this meal but it will be so so soooo worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make this one :) Printing it out now :) Thank your mom for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm definitely going to try this. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs Moyer!!!

    Thanks for that idea. My mouth is watering. Mother-in-law is coming so I need to look "Martha-ish". Can't have my image tainted!
    Catch you on 208!
    LF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, this is one of my favorite quick and easy meals. So simple to do on a day that I had a hard day at work.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!