Sunday, March 13, 2011

Got Milk?


I am not a "milk drinker".  Unless the milk comes in form of ice cream or it is in my cereal it is not being ingested by me.

I am aware of the importance of milk, especially considering my family history of osteoporosis.  I am at risk, and as a result I pop calcium vitamins like candy.

But calcium vitamins don't have the nine essential nutrients milk has.  And since reading more about this "Pour One More" campaign I have decided to make an effort to drink chocolate milk. 

Chocolate makes almost anything bearable.

Unfortunately my oldest son inherited my distaste for milk.  This makes getting him his recommended daily calcium quite tricky.

At times it feels like rocket science.

Other than myself and my oldest son, I'm happy to report milk is quite popular in our house.  I love serving my willing munchkins milk to ensure strong bones and teeth.  Hubby drinks a gallon every two days.

All the milk we buy makes a milk man quite enticing.  Or maybe we need to consider livestock. 

And as for my Sports Fanatic, I do my best to sneak an extra serving of milk in wherever I can.  Cereal, oatmeal and milkshakes help me get a few servings of milk into him when I need to. 

For ideas on how to sneak an extra serving of milk into our day, check out the "Pour One More" website.

As parents, we need to be vigilant about our children's nutrition.  Growing bodies need vitamins and minerals to stay healthy and build strong bones and teeth.  Milk is an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D, phosphorus, riboflavin, protein, vitamin B12, potassium, vitamin A and niacin. 

Also, help spread the word and "Like" this campaign on Facebook!

In the next few days I'll be posting a giveaway for some very cool "Pour One More" gear such a cereal bowls and insulated glasses.  Also, I'll be giving away free milk for a year!

Check back daily and be sure to enter to win!

Have a relaxing Sunday!  Drink your milk!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, I hate milk too and it was such a struggle to drink it when I was still pregnant. I resorted to drinking soya milk instead, which is more bearable.

    I'm visiting you again because I'm giving you the One Lovely Blog award. I really like your blog.

    Do check out the award on my blog, http://flippertail.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have one kid who WILL drink milk - Youngest Boy. The others mostly eat yogurt and cheese, though, but for Baby Girl we instituted Viactiv (which she calls "candy").

    I am lactose intolerant. And I LOVE milk. Especially with cookies. {SIGH}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy milk 3 gallons at a time. We love milk in our house. My husband has an entire list of foods that he will not eat, unless milk is available. My 2 year old doesn't eat hardly anything. The smallest appetite ever. She is not picky, except for the fact that she despises anything with sugar (I am really questioning if she is my child...). She just doesn't eat. After seeing a nutritionist, who had us try several different things (even reducing the amount of milk she drinks in hopes it would make her "less full"), they have told us to let her drink as much as she wants, b/c it is very important to her to get those calories. So, we should buy a really big cow, or a dairy, or a gold mine to pay for all the milk we drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog. Would love to win some of your goodies.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!