Friday, May 27, 2011

5 ? Friday

Ah, Memorial Day weekend.  The official start of summer.

Winter is finally behind us.

I have such fond memories of this time of year.  Schoolwork in June was minimal and time in class was spent socializing and playing games.

There was anticipation of sunny, lazy days.  Long nights with friends.

Bedtimes were later.  Time was unstructured. 

Even now I can feel the excitement stirring in my munchkins as the school year winds down.  It's contagious.

Such a refreshing time of year.

And now, I embark on another 5 ? Friday.  My last one before my official summer begins.

5 ? Friday
1. Do you apologize to your kids?

All the time.  I have a tendency to be frazzled when my life gets stressful.  

Being late, a cluttered house, the bank account getting low...all are circumstances that can get under my skin.  

Most days I roll with the punches.  I breathe.  I laugh.  I hug.

But there are many times I overreact and it warrants an apology.  And I have no shame in apologizing to my munchkins.  They are people.  

Albeit tiny people, but people just the same.

And I need them to know I'm accountable for how I behave.  Just as they are.  
Learning to say "I'm sorry" is no easy task.  But it's such an important life lesson.

2. What color are your nails right now?

Yikes.  You caught me.  My nails are a classy color of chipped dark pink polish.  
I treated myself to a manicure last weekend and I'm not ready to say goodbye.  

Even though the polish quit on me days ago.  

I always swore I would never walk around with nails in this condition.  It takes all of two minutes to remove the polish.  

If you catch me in sandals with unpolished, gnarly looking toenails please punch me in the forehead.

Do not let me throw in the towel at 31 years old.  I need to make it to at least 35 before I slack on the grooming.

3. When you were growing up, how difficult was it for you to stay home from school sick? (As in, did you have to vomit or just say "I don't feel good".)

My Mom was cool.  She was easy about us staying home if we weren't well.  But we had to be sick.  There had to be signs of sickness.  

My mom is a phenomenal caretaker.  When I was a kid she wasn't real mushy with the hugs and kisses but she was a killer nurse.   

Love and warmth are washing over me as I remember the food deliveries and naps on the couch.  

4. When is the last time you bought a new comforter for your bed?

I bought a quilt last year.  Does a quilt count?  Before that I can't remember.  Which translates to I hardly ever buy bedding for myself.

But I do have a hall closet door I can barely shut because the closet is overstuffed with toddler bedding, sports sheets and Handy Manny comforters.

When I'm 35 and I officially throw in the towel on grooming I'll also start using the Mickey Mouse sheets.  

I'll give up all around the board.  Live a simple existence.

Hubby is currently planning his escape plan.  I should save him the trouble.  There is no escape.

5. Favorite website(s)?

Other than emailing and blogging I don't do much website surfing.  There is barely time in my day to remove nail polish.  I have no business surfing the net.  

But I have been known to stay current with important events via People.com.  

Random Picture time!  
Summer at the beach.  Is there anything better?

Happy Unofficial Start to Summer!

1 comment:

  1. Your mom sounds awesome. My mom was more the "tough love" type - suck it up kid, there are lots of people in the world worse off than you!
    I love love summer too! And I slept under a Disney princess comforter last night. yep.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!