Saturday, May 14, 2011

Accomplishments

Today was a good day for this Mama.

Two of my munchkins, a whopping 50%, accomplished big things.  I couldn't be more proud.  For the sake of my beauty sleep we will touch upon one accomplishment at a time.  Another day I will detail our Gymnastics Meet.  Man that was exciting.

But today I will dive into running.

My almost 10 year old Sports Fanatic ran his first 5K this morning.

This was a worry of mine.  I signed him up with the hopes he would love it.

But I prepared for the worst.  Running is not his favorite past time. 

He reminds me of myself when I tried to walk "the mile" every year in P.E.

But I must admit he has "blossomed" this year at the track.  We take him twice a week, usually me on Tuesdays and Hubby on Thursdays.  We started this last year as a way to prepare him for football season.

He had his days he wanted to quit.  Like we all do. 

But he didn't.

He is evolving.  He is eager to try new things and work towards his goals.  And for us, we've been edging him along...trying not to push too hard...

A tough task to balance.  And we don't always succeed.

But today, as I was driving home from Gymnastics State Championships I received the call that my Sports Fanatic finished his 5K.  He finished faster than I ever would have imagined.  And what mattered the most was that I knew how happy he was.

He now knows he can do it.  And man, that is a GREAT feeling. 

Realizing what he is capable of, when he works towards something and makes no excuses, is a lesson I have tried to teach him.

But he needed to learn that one for himself.

And today, he got it.  And he made this Mama proud.
But most importantly, he made HIMSELF proud.  

Life is all about the little things.  Because at the end of the day they always turn out to be the big things.

Wishing you a wonderful Sunday!


3 comments:

  1. Congrats to your son! I hope one day my son (he's only 1.5 now) will join me on a 5k.. I think it's so great for kids to be active, especially since I was NOT growing up..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cngrats to my K-Man for completing his first 5k. I could not be any prouder of him. He now wants to do a 5miler in July we all do as a family. I wish I could say I ran a 5k at 9 years old!!!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!