Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Midweek Treat: Blondies

I have very fond memories of my childhood.

Vacations to Disney World, huge holidays, over the top birthdays, BBQ's with friends, late summer nights, and waking to the juke box Sunday mornings.

Oh, and the blondies I bought with my school lunch in middle school.

They are similar to the bagels from the cafeteria in high school.

Get 'em before they're gone.

Blondies hold a special place in my dessert loving heart.  They are a cross between a few of my favorite artery clogging things:

Cake, brownies and cookies.

And yesterday, still coming off of my Easter sugar high, I decided I needed to bake some.  It was time my munchkins met the ever-so-awesome blondie.

They got along beautifully.

Mommyhood Blondies

1 cup salted butter, melted
2 cups tightly packed brown sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour

chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts as desired.  I love a versatile dessert. 

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour 9x13 inch baking dish.

Whisk butter and sugar in bowl.  Add the egg and vanilla.  When combined, add remaining ingredients and whisk well.

Pour into pan and spread evenly.  I sprinkle my chips on top, this time I crushed leftover Valentine M&M's.  It is a cardinal sin in my house to throw away good chocolates.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  I prefer all my dessert gooey so I check at the 20 minute mark.  If middle is still just a bit raw, I remove from oven and let cool.   

I abhor dry baked goods.  They make me cry.

These are easy to cut, unlike a brownie.  Makes them an excellent choice if you need to bring a dessert just about anywhere.

If they even survive that long.

2 comments:

  1. We always called them "chewies" (except ours had at least a cup of brown sugar in the recipe) and the first time I made them I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong. Once they were a day old they were a bit...dry. And then I realized that growing up, when my mom made these we ate the whole pan warm, straight out of the oven so that we usually burned our tongues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to make these to take to Ryan's preschool graduation :) Wish you lived closer.....I would pay you to make them for me....LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!