Monday, May 30, 2011

Small Town Memorial Day

Our Memorial Day was small town.  It was "old school". 
My two boy munchkins marched in the town parade to support the football program.

Hubby was their fearless leader.
The girls watched from the curb with all our small town peeps.  We cheered and clapped.  We waved to everyone we knew as they marched by.
Moopa was delighted and the Gymnastics Queen collected candy that was tossed from the parade marchers.

She declared it the "best parade ever" as she ingested lollipops and chewed her many pieces of Double Bubble.

When we returned home we fired up the grill.  Hubby set out our giant inflatable water slide.  We listened to the radio.

Yes, I said radio.  Memorial Day means the "Top 500 Rock Songs of All Time Countdown".

I remember bumming around my backyard with the grill smoking and my dad laying by the pool.  And the top 500 was on the radio.  Every year. 

I insisted my munchkins experience the same laid back unofficial start to summer.

And so they splashed around on the water slide.  They played in the yard.  They took little breaks for chips and dip up on the deck.

And they patiently waited for Rihanna to surface on the countdown.

But our day was all about kickin' it old school.  It was about small town livin', family time and barbecuing in the backyard.

And so the radio was just the classics.  They still rocked.  Static reception and all.

3 comments:

  1. SMall towns are the best! Looks like you had a fun day!

    I'm following on GFC from the Family Blog Hop! Hope you'll visit me at http://everythingbeautifulinitstime.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower! :) Can't wait to get to know you better!

    - Terin @ http://terinaleah27.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you all had a wonderful Memorial Day! We celebrated with a few tubs of Bryer's ice cream and "Gnomeo & Juliet" :D Great blog - now following you...

    I really like your blog - I'm trying to get mine off the ground and was wondering if you could come check it out and consider following.

    http://www.guitartrump.blogspot.com/

    Hope you have an *amazing* day! :)

    Alex

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!