Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Father

My Dad is a pirate.  In Jimmy Buffett's terms anyhow.

He's a pirate with a heart of gold.
In my life he has given me much, and loved me unconditionally.  There were no manly expectations for me.  No pressure to live up anything other than who I wanted to be.  

He's a simple guy.  He is laid back.  Chill.

There are days I call him every hour. 

And he answers every time.  If he misses the call, he calls me back.

He has given me countless pieces of advice which I hardly ever followed.

And he was always there to hug me when I learned my lesson from ignoring his golden advice.

He is a different bird.  He uses terms like "nipdoodlish" when something is cool and groovy. 

Without him I ran the risk of normalcy.  My dad has kept me dancing to the beat of a different drum. 

And for that beat, Dad, I thank you. 

Happy Father's Day!

Mommyhood Footnote:  My dad may have given me my "beat", but for the record my mother has kept me alive.  And for that mom, I thank you.

Mommyhood Footnote 1:2: Happy Father's Day to my partner in crime.  The man who holds down this fort when I am off serving Irish Breakfasts and French Dip Sandwiches. 

For the boys you set an example.  You are paving the way to "manhood".
And for the girls, you show them that tenderness my dad showed me. 
Together we balance eachother's craziness.

And I am forever thankful for you. 

1 comment:

  1. I am running out of tissues, Jodie~! You are one of the most sincere and loving people I have had the good fortune of knowing~! I know your dad, so it brings me pride to concur with what you are saying~! Please wish him a Happy Father's Day for me~!
    As far as Mr. Moyer is concerned, he sounds like a wonderful man and dad~! Happy Father's Day to him, as well~! Any man can father a child, but only a few can boast about the success of being a "good father~!" Your husband and dad are unique men, and God is rewarding them for their love and attention to their families~!<3

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!