Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Jelly Muffins

I have a weakness for desserts with jam.

Truthfully I just have a weakness for desserts.  But there is something about a cookie, muffin or bread with jam.

Sign me up buttercup.

These muffins were an experiment.  I needed a muffin for the second grade class party, and I was curious to see how jam would take to living in a muffin.

And so I ditched my typical "add chocolate chips to everything because I love them" style and went with strawberry jam centers.  Which made using whole wheat flour seem reasonable.  And to really make them look healthy I sprinkled on oats.

And I was left with a fairly healthy breakfast muffin.  Served warm, slathered with butter to offset any health benefits, they are quite delish.

Mommyhood's Jelly Muffins
serves 12

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup oil (or applesauce)
1 egg
1 container jelly/jam, any flavor by teaspoonful

Heat oven to 400.  Grease muffin pan or line with paper cups. 

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix well.  In a separate small bowl combine milk, oil and egg and blend well. 

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until moistened.  Batter will be thick and lumpy.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.  Add teaspoon jam to each muffin and cover with another spoonful batter.

If desired sprinkle on oats.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until center is cooked through.

Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!