Friday, June 24, 2011

Last Day of School

My munchkins have completed another year of school.

Excuse me while I grab the tissues.

Here they are on the first day of school this year:
 Here they are two weeks ago on Field Day:
The years go faster the older they get.  Entire weeks pass in the blink of an eye.

And before you know it your oldest is one school year away from middle school and your 5 year old is as tall as your 8 year old.

I remember moving here four years ago and waiting for the bus with my Sports Fanatic.  LLG was crazy as ever which required stroller restraint at all times.  Moopa didn't even exist.  My Gymnastics Queen hadn't even discovered gymnastics.

I had less wrinkles.
For my Sports Fanatic, this picture was his 1st day at a new school. 

I was nervous for him.  I hoped he would make friends before lunchtime rolled around.

My biggest concern that entire week was that he would have a friend to sit with in the cafeteria.  The new mortgage, bills and all unpacking needs ran a far second to the possibility he would sit alone in that cafeteria.

It kept me up at night.

And now four years have passed.  Another school year has come to a close.  And summer is upon us.

We're ready for lazy mornings and late nights in the yard.

Trips for ice cream and dinner on the patio.

Reading in the shade and swimming in the sun.

We're ready for two months of unstructured time with family and friends.

And as I wait for the bus to return home with my munchkins this morning, I'm hoping time will be considerate and slow down for the summer.

I'm not counting on it.

Mommyhood Footnote:  I'm sure you're wondering about my son's cafeteria experience on that first day of school four years ago.  I will forever be thankful to Raymond for befriending my little boy that day and sparing him the horror of lunching alone.

Mommyhood Footnote 1:2  I don't have to pack a lunch for approximately 74 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!