Friday, June 3, 2011

Milestones: A 10th Birthday

Ten years ago today my first munchkin was born.

Ten years, in the blink of an eye.

My Sports Fanatic is now "double digits".  This milestone has had him giddy with excitement for weeks.  It has also had me more emotional.

My baby is truly growing up.

I remember that first night in the hospital, after all the craziness settled.  Visitors had left and Hubby had returned home.  It was just me and this new little life.

I was in awe of him.  So perfect.  So precious.  Such a miracle.

I literally just stared at him sleeping for hours.  I can still see his tiny features in the glow of the moonlight.

He was mine.  Mine to raise up.  Mine to love.

It was terrifying.  And so I made him many promises that night.  I wanted to give him the best of myself.

Becoming a mother has profoundly changed me for the better.  I have become selfless.

More aware.

Stronger.

And fierce when duty calls me to be.

There is a glimmer of my former self somewhere inside of me, but only the best of her remains.

3,650 days after I first became a mother I can still feel every emotion I felt in that hospital room like it was yesterday. 

I can still see myself staring at the miracle that has given me purpose.

Today I wish my Sports Fanatic the happiest of birthdays.  Because in that hospital room ten years ago, in the pale glow of the moonlight, he gave me the best gift I have ever received.
He made me a mommy.

And he was so wonderful I had three more munchkins.  Because after I experienced a new baby I knew I would never tire of it.  Or of them.

Happy Birthday to my "Double Digits" boy!  You are everything a Mom could hope for and more.

2 comments:

  1. colleen whoo hoo4June 3, 2011 at 9:23 AM

    Love what u wrote... I remember my first night with andrew... I felt the same way, and made so many promises.. and yes he gave me the best gift... "becoming a mommy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry. :) Happy birthday to your handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!