Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Coffee Smoothie

I am not a coffee drinker.  Never have been. 

Hubby is not a fan either.  We have one of those awful homes that coffee drinkers despise.  There is no after dinner coffee here.  If you stay the night your morning is met chocolate milk and waffles.

Yet I have a strange desire to force myself to drink coffee.  There is something very "homey" about the smell of coffee brewing in the morning.

I am confident there is hope for me.  I do have deep and sincere passion for coffee ice cream.  And coffee milkshakes.  This love is real.

Part of my anti-coffee problem is that I am not a huge fan of hot beverages.  And so recently I have made an effort to try the iced coffees.  And Frappucinos.  And lattes.

My mother ship, also known as Target, has a Starbucks inside.  This heavenly place is kind enough to set out small samples of their beverages. 

Whenever a sample beverage with whipped cream is available I happily oblige.  And now I am in an unfortunate situation.

I have found myself semi-addicted to the Mocha Coconut Frappucino.  This situation is unfortunate because they are not cheap. 

And I want one every morning. 

Which means I look for reasons to go to Target.  And then I spend money on a Frappucino AND stuff I don't need.

Today I tried my Frappucino making skills at home.  And as with so many other things, nothing is the same when you make it yourself.

But I did manage to produce a pretty decent Frappucino.  I would actually refer to mine as a "Coffee Smoothie", if there is such an animal.

But I have a ways to go before I am not caught in the Starbucks line at Target.  A LONG ways to go.

In case anyone would like to try my light "Coffee Smoothie", here is the gist of it:

1/2 cup any flavor coffee, cooled (I used french vanilla)
2 tablespoons nonfat creamer (I used french vanilla)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup nonfat milk
2 cups ice
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup

Here's the hard part:

Add it all into a blender and blend it.

Top with whipped cream.

Enjoy and tell yourself you saved $4.98 on a medium Frappucino.

3 comments:

  1. You are a s "cream" Moyer!! No pun!! Looks bloody delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are also about a million calories in those delicious Frapuccinos... Do you have a Barnie's Coffee and Tea anywhere near you? I LOVE their Santa's White Christmas coffee cooler and all you need is the cooler mix and milk! It's delicious chocolate and coconut with a very slight hint of christmas-y spice. I might have to go make myself one right now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a coffee drinker, either. It never tastes the way it smells, you know? But, I do LOVE the smell of brewing coffee. Hubby loves the cold/frozen coffee things, so this looks like a great excuse to brew some up!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!