Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Belmar 5: An Annual Tradition

Yesterday was the annual "Belmar 5". 

A five mile race down the Jersey Shore.  The race is on a flat course and mile three is along the ocean.  My family has run this race for years.

Every summer for at least the past 10 years we have bellied up to the start line.

A gaggle of hung over men and too tired mommies.

We wear crazy tie-dyed attire with a fun jingle written on the back.  It usually has something to do with us running slow, having fun and partying like birds when we finish.
And then we polly-wog through five miles.

Some of us are more swift.
Some of us are not as swift.
We've pushed our babies in running strollers.
And when the babies became too plentiful their aunts and uncles helped push the running strollers.
And whether we ran together, pushed a stroller, or ran our fastest time we ALL finish.
This year was a special year for me because my two oldest munchkins went from cheering us on along the race course to RUNNING along the race course.
At ten and eight years old, five miles is much longer than it is for an adult.
The legs are smaller.  The strides are smaller.  Which makes the race a whole lot longer.  But with family helping along the way, they had running buddies and we all shared some laughs.

We crunched cups at water stations and listened to all the supportive racers cheering them on.

And for my Gymnastics Queen, the two senior citizens who run carrying a flag every year helped me push her that last half mile.

And then they ran her in, letting her carry the flag in between them.
My munchkins finished.  And I couldn't be more proud.
Do something GREAT today!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the race! When I saw "Belmar" in your title I had to comment. Fellow Jersey blogger here - I'm in Eatontown. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Our Oldest Boy is running cross country for the first time in the fall and I am excited to run a 5K with him. I just finished my second one this past weekend and I know he'll be able to do it next year! So fun!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!