Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Wedding

On Saturday, my youngest brother married his longtime girlfriend.  We affectionately call her "Lady". 

Actually, it's pronounced "Laaaaaaaaddddyyyy".

The rehearsal dinner was on Friday.  And that was the beginning of a weekend filled with mushy wedding fun.
My brother and Lady made the wedding about them and all they stand for, which made the wedding a great time.

It wasn't what her parents wanted, or what my parents wanted.  It was their music, their attire, and their day.
Just as it should have been.
Our father married them.  He was ordained through the Universal Life Church of Modesto California several years ago.

He does one heck of a job. 

He wears his kilt and he makes the ceremony personal. 
My brother and Lady also included all their nieces and nephews.  By the time LLG walked down the aisle he had grass stains on his knees and Moopa insisted on carrying her "lovey". 

And this was all okay with them. 
 Lady was chill.  This chick was no bridezilla.  Any bride who will hold a toddler eating a pop tart ten minutes before the ceremony is a keeper.
The bride walked down the aisle to "What a Wonderful World" and the bridal party danced into the reception to "10th Avenue Freeze Out".

It was a wedding celebrating all they are and all they will become as they start their lives together.

I found myself with mist in my eyes quite a few times. 
I had many moments of gratitude for my family.  I looked at my little brother many times with nothing but happiness for all that is ahead of him.  He has found his partner.  His "other half".  And there is no greater gift in life than to have someone to count on.

And I know they will count on each other for much.  I know they have what it takes to weather the storms. 

And I wish them every happiness. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and your family!! Your post made my eyes misty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i didn't cry enough this weekend, you just brought tears to my eyes...again. beautifully written big sis =)

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!