Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Town After Hurricane Irene

These past twenty four hours have been a hunkered down, television watching calorie fest.

With Irene approaching, the town was prepared to stay inside.  I saw friends at the grocery store pre-storm and messaged them online during the storm. 

While the wind never picked up like we expected, the rain was relentless.  And it left our town underwater.  It left neighbors without electricity, cars, garages and basements.
It left our downtown flooded and without a ballfield.
I am feeling very blessed that I have electricity and my Direct TV.  We were spared the worst.  Our backyard is puddled and covered in leaves, but it remains.

I asked Hubby to take the camera with him when he ventured to the store for a steak. 

After being "cooped up" a steak was on the agenda.  There was no stopping him.
When he came home with steak (him) and ice cream (me) he showed me the photos I am sharing with you.
I have no doubt that these businesses and families will rebound and all will be well. "Things" can be replaced,  people cannot.
I am sending out a gentle reminder for everyone to shop local in the coming months, because the town will need our support.
And everyone else, wherever you live, should do the same.
Now we need to roll up our sleeves, help our communities and stay safe.

Looking forward to a sunny tomorrow,

5 comments:

  1. Sending prayers for you and your community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father in upstate NY is suffering the same. Breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am glad ya'll are safe & sound. Will be praying for everyone affected by the flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. I am so sorry. Many prayers will be said for everyone on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no - that is horrible! I'm glad you and your family are safe. And yes, things can be replaced, people cannot.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!