Sunday, August 7, 2011

Some Sunday Wisdom

Last night at work we were having a discussion.  It involved another waitress having been "wronged" by someone she knew.  This caused hurt, confusion and anger.

We have all been there.

The conversation began because this person came in to have dinner last night.  Naturally our fellow waitress was anxious.  She didn't want to see them, let alone serve them.

Of course we took this table for her, and the tables in its immediate vicinity.  We would never throw one of our own to the hungry wolves. 

But as we discussed what transpired a few years ago between them, another waitress offered up some valuable wisdom.  

"Holding onto your anger is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die" - Buddha

Isn't that the truth?

I'm forever amazed at how resilient my munchkins are, and I let them lead me by example.  They get over disappointments and keep forging ahead.  They forgive classmates and make new friends.

If only adults behaved the same.

Our server did eventually approach the customer, even if was only for an uncomfortable hello.

Baby steps, always baby steps.

2 comments:

  1. I have a story about forgiveness coming up in a blog post soon. Long story short, when one of my kids apologizes the other has to acknowledge it with an "I forgive you" - it validates the apology. I, too, follow their example.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!