Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Shortbread

This past weekend I needed to make a dessert to bring to a barbecue.  I waited until last minute like all good planners do. 

I envisioned making giant cupcakes for all the munchkins.  When I gathered everything I needed I was missing one very important thing I needed.

Eggs.

Eggs are pretty much a necessity in every dessert.  I assumed I had them.  One should never assume when cupcakes are involved.

The only dessert I could whip up last minute without eggs was shortbread.  I added chocolate chips because I add them to everything.  I added oats for health benefits.

The shortbread came out delish.  And it's so easy my two year old could make them if she knew how to operate an oven and a mixer.

Keep this recipe on hand (or just bookmark it) for when you assume you have eggs and your fridge fails you.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Shortbread
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla.  Gradually add the flour and oats.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Prick with a fork if desired. 

Bake at 325 for approximately 30 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. 

Cool at least 15 minutes before cutting.

An important Mommyhood tip:  DO NOT OVERBAKE.  No one wants a dry crumbly cookie. Dry crumbly cookies make people cry.

Happy Thursday!

Mommyhood Footnote:  These cookies come with a disclaimer.  You must love shortbread if you plan on enjoying these cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!