Monday, September 12, 2011

Football Cookies

This past weekend was our football "season opener".  After six weeks of practice the boys were dressed and ready to play.

The game didn't exactly go as we would have hoped.  But you can't win 'em all.

With Hubby assistant coaching and my Sports Fanatic playing, I wanted to bring something for them to share with the boys after their first game.

I also wanted to have something for us to enjoy at home while we watched the NFL.

After some thought I went with football cookies, and a football cake.  And because I like to multi-task, both were accomplished with one recipe.

I love the two birds with one stone thing. 

I whipped up my sugar cookie dough, (recipe HERE) and rolled out 35 football cookies.

Since rolling out sugar cookies gets old after the first two batches, I took all remaining unrolled dough and pressed it into a lightly greased 9" round baking dish.

I had my heart set on a lovely sugar cookie cake.   

I baked it for 20-25 minutes, at 350, until center was just done.

While the cake cooled I frosted and decorated the sugar cookies.  I made them funky fun style.
After I was done with the cookies, I frosted the sugar cookie cake and decorated with some cookie cutouts from the cookie batch.
 
The players enjoyed cookies post game and we devoured cookie cake while watching NFL.

And everyone was happy.

If you are bake sale baking, tailgate baking, or baking for your child's team, I highly recommend investing in the All Star Cookie Cutters.  They are fan-tab-u-lous. 
I use them every year and they make very cool cookies.  And in the mom circle cool cookies means you're cool.  

That's what I tell myself anyway.

Have a fabulous week.  The rain has finally left the station 'round here and I'm loving the fall sunshine.

Mommyhood Footnote:  I don't list decorating "supplies" because I am a firm believer in making due with what's in the cabinets.  All you need is the cookie ingredients and frosting.  Decorate with sprinkles, chocolate chips, cookie crumbs, licorice, candy or anything else you have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!