Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hodgepodge Krispie Treats

Every so often my pantry has several boxes of almost finished cereal.  They take up room but can't really feed anyone.

They prevent me from buying fresh boxes and for some reason no one wants the "end" of the cereal box.

It's the same with soda cans and beer.  The "end" is no one's friend.

And so they sit.  Uneaten and annoying me.

The result of this annoyance is the "hodgepodge" krispie treat.  I use different cereals, add chocolate chips because I love them and the treats turn out fab.

They have color, they have style and they have chocolate.  All three are major criteria when munchkins choose sugary snacks.

A Mommyhood win-win-win.  Delish, an ounce of nutrition and the freedom to go buy fresh cereal.

Hodge Podge Krispie Treats
6 cups of any annoying almost empty cereal (minimum 2 different cereals)
1 bag marshmallows
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chocolate chips
 
Melt butter over low heat.  Add marshmallows.  Once marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and add cereal and chocolate chips.

Press into bottom of 9x13 greased dish.

Eat any portion that did not make it into the 9x13 dish.

Let sit for at least an hour. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I just threw a big fit about not buying anymore cereal until the box was finished… then I did this exact same thing, when it still remained… uneaten! Delicious idea and I'll have to remember the chocolate chips for next time! Yum….

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!